Cleanupcrew is lazy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NightSpirit

Aquarium Advice Activist
My cleanup crew is lazy. They basically barely even clean the glass (which I could do myself) and don't even touch the sand. I havn't even seen my two starfish move from out of the rocks (they are alive, as I noticed while aquascaping to upgrade my skimmer), and I havn't even seen my sea cucumber in a week.

If they keep this up I'm going to get a puffer fish and humu trigger and they just might become food...

Here is my current livestock, give or take a few:
36 turbo snails
12 blue leg hermits
10 scarlet reef hermits
4 emerald crabs
6 nerite snails
6 cerith snails
2 star snails
48 nassarius snails
1 serpent star
1 harlequin serpent star
1 sea cucumber ???

The stars are nocturnal so you won't see them much. How long have you had the cleanup crew? They might just need some time to get used to the new environment.

It's been about two weeks. They really like the rocks and glass, but my main problem is keeping my sand clean, which they don't even touch. The glass I can clean myself, the sand is a little harder since I don't want to disturb the flora.

If it's cyano then your best bet is to test for phosphates and look to increase waterflow in that area.

I don't think it's cyano because I don't have any phosphates. It's sort of reddish, almost like it's liverock debree. It's not rampant or anything, but I prefer my sand to be white.

Actually I've considered using tapwater because it tests well. Then I remembered that they flourinate the water here and I've heard that isn't good for the fish.

Back
Top Bottom