Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-03-2003, 12:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

clear to black.....

guys,

i want to make the back of my aquarium black!! in my opinion it looks better and i dont want to go out and spend some more cash and start all over again w/ a new aquarium. my question is will a 1/4 inch piece of black acrylic (cut to size) do the job or is there a better way.... the only thing holding me back is how do i adhere the acrylic to my glass aquarium?? i was thinking a very small bead of silicon in each corner might do the trick? has anyone tried this...?

regards,

Micro

Old 09-03-2003, 12:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have a 29 Gal freshwater tank... What I did was just paint it with black artist acryllic paint!

It was easy.. and can be scraped off with a razor when you're done.

Just brush it on, and you'll be amazed how it looks on the inside of the glass!
You can pick up a tube of black acryllic at any artist or hobby store.

I hope that helps!

Jeff.

Old 09-03-2003, 12:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

This may sound like a stupid question, but what is wrong with a black piece of paper taped to the back?
RogerMcAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 12:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Any material taped on doesn't bring the color through very well, hence why you have to use oil or vaseline on those plastic backgrounds. I used:

HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 03:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have one of those plastic background things taped to the back of my tank. One sides black and one sides very dark blue (thats what the lable says, Im a little color blind). I thik it looks great though. Hey if ya dont like it you could just take it off, plus its usually very cheap to buy, if I were you, id give it a shot.

Tags
clear

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com