clear water.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ericosuave

Aquarium Advice Regular
ok my water is clear.. but i have all these tiny particles floating in my tank. its been like this for like 4 months now.. the tiny particles never settle.. im thinking its detritus particles but i dont know how to ged rid of all these particles floating around in my tank..

I see other nice good tanks and they never have any particles floating around like I do...

someone please help! btw my tank is 40 gal hex oceanic

gimmie some specs as far as filtration goes. my skimmer sometimes shoots out tiny air bubbles, and my canister filter does it non stop. surface agrigation also causes micro bubbles.

do you have live rock? tube worms spit out sand from their holes that float around the tank.

It could be a number of things, its usually nothing to be worried about.

i know its not much to be worried about :p it just looks ugly! hehe....

well my protein skimmer is a prizm.. and i have the media basket attachment.. with some carbon filtration in it. my skimmer does shoot out some small air bubbles.. but those are barely noticeable..

i have live rock.. and i dont think i have any tube worms... i think its just detritus from the rock.. but i dont know how to get rid of it..

once upon a time, i forgot to put filter material in the tray above my bio-ball chambers. and i wondered why my water was cloudy after three months. :lol:

erico, I'm gonna give you some bad news. The Prizm skimmer is quite possibly the worst skimmer money can buy. I have one...I tried to make it work. It skims, but not very well.
I think it's possible that a better skimmer would actually skim those fine particles out.

Otherwise, you might try running a little filter floss in the media chamber for a few days. Don't use too much, and you might even want to just change it out once a day while you use it, to keep it clean and prevent it from becoming a nitrate factory.

I reduced the flow in my tank and used a very fine filter media in my wet/dry - no luck. Those particles are tough to get rid of. Like others said, it doesn't hurt anything.

i think i might just go with a new protein skimmer.. like malkore said the prizm is junk.. and i dont think its filtering as much as it should. im going to go with a CPR or something..

Thanks for your help guys! i appreciate it much!

How about getting feather dusters. Removing fine particles is what they are best at.

Back
Top Bottom