Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-26-2005, 02:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

clicking

Any chance that the clicking noise in my tank could also be a pistol shrimp? Never had one so I don't know...just can't find what's making the noise and when I dipped one of my rocks a bunch of baby shrimp came out. The claws looked kinda big for the body

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 02:49 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

If it quacks like a duck...

Never had one, but sounds like you mgiht have one. Maybe time to try the bait and shot glass method. New rock recently?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 02:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Could be pistol shrimp. Were one of the claws bigger than the other?
Here are a couple of Pistol shrimp I got from my LR.com order last summer. These guys were tiny, less and an inch long at the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shrimp_189.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	406  
Old 01-26-2005, 03:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yep thats what they looked like and there was a bunch of em, real small though. They were under the LR.com rock that I got last month. So is it possible then that what I am hearing may infact not be a mantis? Because the clicking comes from both sides of the tank and no visaul observation of another mantis, just the one from last time. I thought I saw two, but it's possible that it was the same mantis. How big do pistol shrimp get and will they harm my tank?

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 03:13 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Pistols aren't going to hurt your tank. They will tunnel under sand, so if your rock is only sitting on top of the sand, I'd be a little concerned about rocks falling over or on top of the pistols IMO. Hey, enjoy the fun and consider a shrimp goby to hang out with them.

Mine is about 2inches long. Had'm for 11 months of with a watchman goby.

Yeap, one big claw is usually a sign of a pistol.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com