Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-22-2003, 05:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to fergieturk
Clicking - might be a mantis

Hi all,
So in there is still a clicking sound coming from the BF's tank. He killed one shrimp thing - He threw it away before I could take a look - might have been a pistol or a mantis - I couldn't get a good description out of him. The clicking is very sporadic. It will click once then 10 minutes later it will click again. It will go for a day w/o clicking. It might be the house settling, but we think it's coming from the tank.
No livestock has come up missing except 2 peppermints, but they always hide anyway. We have a couple of hairy crabs that need to come out, too, but we can't find them or get them out. We have 196# of LR, so we can't and won't pull it all out. We didn't dip the rocks before we put them in - I did some more reading and figured out that probably would have been a good idea.
Any suggestions? Should we put a mantis trap in there or will other stuff go into the trap. Also how do we get the hairy crabs out - is there a trap for them?

Old 04-22-2003, 07:59 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
if you get a mantis trap and catch things you did not want to you can just let them out of the trap. the trap does no harm to the animal it catches. I know www.transfishsupplies.com has them for a good price.

Old 04-23-2003, 11:44 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Good to know the trap doesn't hurt anything. Do the traps really work? Where should I put it? Just plop it on the sand or do I have to do something special?
Old 04-23-2003, 03:19 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
They do work. Just put some frozen shrimp in as bait and lay it on the sand.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:30 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
one other thing, do you have larger hermits? I thought I had a mantis and it was just big bubba with his butt against the tank glass, clanking as he moved.
Old 04-23-2003, 04:23 PM   #6

I had a hremit also that did this. I gave it away so that someone else could have the annoyance.. sad really, it wasn't it's fault that it was big and clumsy...bye bye crab...
Old 04-23-2003, 11:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
big bubba with his butt against the tank glass
lol! I got the hermits after the clicking started. I'm pretty sure it's not them. My BF got a trap today and is going to try it out tonight - keep your fingers crossed.

Tags
ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com