Clicking - might be a mantis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fergieturk

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,
So in there is still a clicking sound coming from the BF's tank. He killed one shrimp thing - He threw it away before I could take a look - might have been a pistol or a mantis - I couldn't get a good description out of him. The clicking is very sporadic. It will click once then 10 minutes later it will click again. It will go for a day w/o clicking. It might be the house settling, but we think it's coming from the tank.
No livestock has come up missing except 2 peppermints, but they always hide anyway. We have a couple of hairy crabs that need to come out, too, but we can't find them or get them out. We have 196# of LR, so we can't and won't pull it all out. We didn't dip the rocks before we put them in - I did some more reading and figured out that probably would have been a good idea. :oops:
Any suggestions? Should we put a mantis trap in there or will other stuff go into the trap. Also how do we get the hairy crabs out - is there a trap for them?

Good to know the trap doesn't hurt anything. Do the traps really work? Where should I put it? Just plop it on the sand or do I have to do something special?

one other thing, do you have larger hermits? I thought I had a mantis and it was just big bubba with his butt against the tank glass, clanking as he moved.

I had a hremit also that did this. I gave it away so that someone else could have the annoyance.. sad really, it wasn't it's fault that it was big and clumsy...bye bye crab...

big bubba with his butt against the tank glass
lol! I got the hermits after the clicking started. I'm pretty sure it's not them. My BF got a trap today and is going to try it out tonight - keep your fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom