Clicking sound in reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like some kind of pod

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It look like some sort of copiopod .. How big is this little terror ?

My 3 cleaner shrimp are MIA.

Corals are growing nicely though.

Last edited by a moderator:
going to search again tonight. Found a bunch of hermit crab remains (claws,legs, misc.bits) behind my elegance coral. The coral is in a corner between the glass and a rock, if there is a mantis shrimp in there, I suspect he might be holed up under the rock behind the elegance coral.

want to figure this out before i add more fish, the disappearing fish act is getting expensive.

If you think you know the rock it's in, you could dip it in extra salty water (1.030) and it should go running from the rock

If you think you know the rock it's in, you could dip it in extra salty water (1.030) and it should go running from the rock

i basically glued all the rock work together prior to filling the tank, removing any of the rocks isn't an option unfortunately

if only i had an underwater speaker to play anti-mantis shrimp propaganda, turn that tank into north korea for a week or so, get into that little smasher's head.

I've looked up on uk sites and asked my local shop owner , he is of same opinion as all who have commented that the ONLY way is to remove rock and catch the little devil ...

My latest trap( piece of mussel, inside bottle with top cut off and re-inserted) didn't catch anything.

I'm betting on a xanthid crab. They make a very similar clicking sound as they are burrowing into rock.

I had a
Similar sound and found this guy!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409706492.241860.jpg

figured out what happened to my cleaner shrimp.

Caught my clown trigger last night eating one, he literally ate the entire thing.

you have a trigger in with invertebrates and you wondered what happened to them?
the trigger should have been your first suspect.

I do have a hermit who for some reason likes to tap his shell against the sides of the tank often at night, sometimes it sounds like a mini jack-hammer.

I've had triggers with inverts before and never had an issue, the cleaners really didn't do much cleaning anyways.

I fed my triggers with king crab legs for a treat. You could hear the crunching all over the house. Some are pretty invertebrate safe, but the clown isn't one if them.

Back
Top Bottom