Clicking sound in reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

audifusion

Aquarium Advice Freak
Keep hearing this weird clicking sound in my tank . Typically it occurs when the lights are off.

My tank :

120 gallon peninsula rimless

Inmates:

Sailfin tang
Blue tang
Clown trigger
3 clown fish
2 long nose hawk fish
2 watchmen goby
3 cleaner shrimp
Yellow tang
Couple of hermits
Couple of turbo snails
Red Sea fan
Zoa colony
Elegant coral

One of my hawk fish has disappeared, a couple turbo snails gone.

I have heard that mantis and pistol shrimp produce a clicking sound but haven't seen either.

Any thoughts?

Use a red light and investigate the tank a few hours after the lights go off. Also pay close attention to the sand bed and see if you notice any changes or rubble forming around a rock.

I've had a clicking shrimp hiding in my rock for years and years. I hear the clicks at night and I have what I call "the grave yard" which is where it piles up snail shells. I just buy new snails about once a year and pull the shells out sometimes. I know its killing them cause the dead snails are in teh exact same spot every time.

I had same in mine and found this little guy when took a rock out to clean it.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406568456.736891.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a mantis shrimp (on purpose) and she moves her gravel around every day. She has a burrow which she closes up at night with pebbles. So yeah I'd look for pebbles that weren't there before or possibly set a trap to see what you can catch. Mantis shrimp can swim so a tilted glass won't really work if that's what it is.

Was only small about size of thumb nail but still hear it but ain't seen it since.

Power heads sometimes click, but my guess is there's something missing on your stocking list; a pistol shrimp. I'd keep him, they are cool.

Given up for now ... Would be nice to find out where a couple fish literally disappeared to, but haven't been a able to catch any predatory shrimps .

Thanks for the input anyways

My guess would be a snapping pistol shrimp that is being harassed by you trigger fish at night. If it was me I would get a gobi that would pair with pistol shrimp, see if they pair up and snapping should stop when gobi is with it.

Had 2 watchman gobies, one disappeared ... The other jumped out of the tank .

They were pretty cool though, constantly sifting the sand.

If you are missing fish and no bodies to be found my guess is that the clicking noise is from a Mantis. If it was me I would plan on a Friday or Saturday and turn off the lights I would put a piece of table shrimp out front and wait using one of those head lamps that you can get at Walmart or Academy they have a red light on it as well and wait and see what comes out to eat the shrimp.

If you are missing fish and no bodies to be found my guess is that the clicking noise is from a Mantis. If it was me I would plan on a Friday or Saturday and turn off the lights I would put a piece of table shrimp out front and wait using one of those head lamps that you can get at Walmart or Academy they have a red light on it as well and wait and see what comes out to eat the shrimp.

Mantis can see red light, their eyes are pretty amazing actually. A Trap or pulling each rock for a dip in high salinity water (1.035) and seeing what comes out are probably your only options for a mantis.

Mantis makes more than a clicking noise. All the ones I've been around make a popping sound and it's pretty loud. From a "critter" standpoint, he may be one of the coolest things in your tank. But not if it's killing fish.

Back
Top Bottom