Clipping grape calurpa?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dewey

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well im a little confused on How i should clip this. Its been in the refug for about 3 weeks Seems to be doing good its staying green, iv been liteing it for 12 hours per day at night. How and where should i clip it? I have it kind of floating on top of water .Should i weight it to the bottom with rocks?Or should i leave it on top?

Im also think of switching to this allege.What do you think? Its suppose to be better. Heres a link i found a supplier in florida that has it .
http://aquariacanada.com/osCommerce/product_info.php?products_id=388

Thanks in advance Dewey

hey Dewey, the culerpa that I have attaches to some of the base rock I left in the refugium. I take it thats a sign is wants to stay towads the bottom of the tank. Hehe cool I actually have some spaghetti in my refugium as well, just be prepared to give it the ligt it needs. In my 29 gallon refugium I have a mere 20 watts, and it hasn't grown, though the culerpa wpon't stop growing. I am going to make one of my DIY lighting set ups... ballast for 13 bucks, a base, and I have the light bulbs.. gives me 64 watts of PC lighting at 6500K! That should make that sucker grow.. buwahaha!
Wow thats expensive.. I got mine for free luckily from a friend. Why not just combine the two?

Well it it needs lots of light im going to have to get more to i only have 16 watts pc.
I found a supplyer in florida that will ship it to me for $15.00 thats with heat packs and all. But that is 2nd day. I wish i had a few friends that had it . lol

Thanks Dewey

I am keeping my frist batch of calurpa (got a calurpa sampler from exoticfish.com as well as the fuge starter kit) I have my calurpa rubberbanded to pieces of liverock thats sunk down about 2" into the mudbed in the fuge. I leave an 18W PC on 24/7, my fuge is only 6.5 gallons though, so I would imagine that a 96W light for 12 hours or like a 55 on 24/7 would be good for a 29G. As far as clipping the calurpa I keep it about 1" below the surface of the fuge. Dont' know what to tell you regarding floating it on the top.

I have a 16watt light on my ECO and my caluerpa has grown like crazy.

The problem is that I don't know what it's suppose to look like when it's about to sexual. Any clues?

hmm.. one question.. when it goes sexual.. does it hurt corals as well? I've got a good chunk of culerpa (suction cup) in my refuge. Today my damsel went from well to dead, but my algae blenny was and still seems fine. My frogspawn actually got bigger.. while the other corals are normal. I did see SOME parts of culerpa going clear... but I take those off... any ideas if the culerpa was the culprit.. and should I do anything different in terms of lighitng... right now I ahve it on 12 hours a night.

well i found when i took mine from 24/7 to 12 hr it started to die !! granted i only have 4 no tube over the 55 gallon !! but its enough to keep it growing as well as the mangroves seeds i put in there all doing good as long as i leave on 24/7 !!
not sure about the damsel !! there tuff fish!! have ya tested ya water??

I've noticed that there are times when some of my caluerpa branches do look white, but I thought was just growth. All my fish and corals are doing great. My water is perfect.

Can you give a little more detail?

Thanks.

when it grows the v at the tips will be a whiteish color i guess i should have used that when its dieing it turns more clear !!

Back
Top Bottom