Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-03-2013, 06:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Closed Corals

So my corals have been closed for close to 4 days now which includes my frogspawn frag, blue zoa frag, and mushrooms. The only corals that are open are the Gsp hammer frag and the candycanes. I haven't moved any of these corals since I placed them in. They were fully opened a week ago but just stopped when I did a wc a couple of days ago. One thing that I think may be the problem is I got kind of lazy and didn't top off the water with rodi. The salinity increased a good amount before I did a wc and dropped it back to 1.026. Maybe the corals are "shocked"? Just tested my water and there are no traces of ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate. I do weekly water changes so i don't think the calcium and other elements are the problem.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Closed Corals:

Frogspawn
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3220063699.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	141506

Blue Zoa Frag

Name:	image-2955123865.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	141507

Semi Closed/Open:

Hammer

Name:	image-3793972952.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	141508

Open coral:

Gsp

Name:	image-3368316593.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	141509

Old 01-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Do you know what the SG got up to? I had an incident with a faulty hydrometer and mine got up to 1.030 and everything closed up except for my gsp. Gsp loved it. They appeared to have better color while everything else was really unhappy.

Also are you using a refractometer or a hydrometer? I will never use a hydrometer after that incident.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Maybe try some iodine.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #5
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

A quick jump to high salinity followed by a quick drop to "normal" levels would stress things out, which is why it is stressed to do everything slowly in our tanks. But, I highly doubt this would cause them to be closed up for 4 days. I suspect there is something else at play here, which would come from "being lazy and not using ro/di for top off water." Looking at the pictures you can see some algae starting to build up, which means nitrates/phosphates that come directly from tap water. I'd suspect this playing a larger role in this than the salinity spike.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
A quick jump to high salinity followed by a quick drop to "normal" levels would stress things out, which is why it is stressed to do everything slowly in our tanks. But, I highly doubt this would cause them to be closed up for 4 days. I suspect there is something else at play here, which would come from "being lazy and not using ro/di for top off water." Looking at the pictures you can see some algae starting to build up, which means nitrates/phosphates that come directly from tap water. I'd suspect this playing a larger role in this than the salinity spike.
Yeah I'm guessing it could be the salinity switch. Don't use tap water I use rodi water to top off and to make sw.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just retested all my parameters. Everything is still on point. Just yesterday I did a 3 gal wc with replacing it with rodi water and not saltwater to bring the salinity down to 1.025. The corals are still closed. So l moved the frogspawn from the sand bed to the top and the hammer from the sand bed to the middle section. QUESTION: Do Lps close up when they're splitting? I can see on both my frogspawn and hammer that one of the heads is forming a 8 shape.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

My candy cane heads definitely take on the 8 shape when splitting but they don't close up on me. I can't speak for yours though. I don't have either of those.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Also if you just did an adjustment it will take them a while to get happy again.

How much of an adjustment was this? I have been told that when adjusting salinity you shouldn't move it more than .003 in a 24 hour period. Too quick a change is never good. If you went .005 in one change they should be ok eventually but better to go slower.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So far they are still closed.. I don't know what else to do but keep up with wc? If anyone else wants to chime in with some advice. They've been closed for about a week!

Tags
coral, corals

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com