Closed loop idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattdean

Aquarium Advice Regular
I will be setting up a new tank in the new year. The closed loop will have 2 pipes coming up with live rock surrounding them. I thought it would be a good idea to drill small holes - or maybe big holes - in the pipe going throught the rock to introduce flow inside the rock. i thought it would keep things from getting bogged down with detrius or anything undesirable.The tank will be a mixed reef.

So, is this a good idea, or bad idea..and why?

BTW, it's a custom 125 gallon 48 x 24 x 20 peninsula tank with Starphyre glass, coast to coast overflow on one short end, inside euro brace, 56 gallon sump, Vertex IN 180 skimmer, UV sterilizer, refugium, Blueline pumps for the return and closed loop, EHEIM Professional II with various media, Tek light 8 bulb 54W T5 fixture, RO/DI with ATO.

Thanks!

Depends. You'll loose some degree of current with that. Maybe the splash onto the rocks will be enough to move it all around.

I tend to find a good clean-up crew can do far more for keeping things moving and healthy than focusing just on water flow. That's been my experience anyways.

I would add more returns for the closed loop, around 4, and possibly tee them further. You may have to play with sizing, but I kept everything at 1" on a 140g I set up. Although chaotic flow is popular, I am enjoying the flow from creating a rolling affect.

Back
Top Bottom