cloudy tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tjara03

Aquarium Advice Freak
i am lookin over my friends tank while he is on vacation and today i noticed his PH sucked p his anemone.. :cry: anyways the tank is all coudy now.. what should i do? is there gonna be an ammonia spike from this? Should i do a water change? Run carbon? TIA!!

YES, YES, YES!

Yes Ammonia spike. Yes do a large water change asap, and then again, and again for the next few days. Get some crbon running in there, and change ot out evry day as well.

Hurry, Hurry.

What is the size of the tank? How large was the anemone? Was the entire anemone sucked up or just a small part of it? What are the current nh3/no2 readings?

Depending on the size of the tank and the size of the anemone the system may be able to handle a slight nh3 increase.

Also please make sure you mix the saltwater for a minimum of 8 hours and if possible 24 hours prior to using since adding newly mixed saltwater too soon can be caustic to corals/inverts.

Check to see if your friend has any chemicals like Amquel, Chemi-Pure, or Purigen since using those would be even more beneficial then GAC for this type of thing.

the tank is a 29Gal and the anemone was prally about 4in across.. i just noticed it during my lunch time so all i could do at the time was take what was left of it off the power head... there was a big chunk left on the powerhead...

You probably will have issues since it’s only a 29 gal. If 80% or so was still left on the ph and was removed then 20% of a 4” anemone would only cause a slight nh3 increase and it would still likely take 4-8 hours for it to register with an nh3 test.

Have you tested the nh3/no2 yet? Do you have water mixing now for a change later on? I’d shoot for around 10 gal pwc to start and try to match the sg/ph/temp to the main as closely as possible. I’d mix a total of 20-30 gal if you have a container large enough in case the nh3 does go higher then anticipated so you can do another 10 gal change after 4+ hours.

Key thing is to not rush too quickly or you may cause more damage to the reef tank then the anemone did.

sounds like a plan... thanks for the advice thus far and i will post on how everything works out...

Back
Top Bottom