Cloudy Water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krypt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Over the past 2 days my tank water has turned cloudy. I tested my water params and all came out to normal specs, ammonia: 0, No2: 0, No3: 5, phosphate: 0, SG: 1.024, PH 8.2. I cant figure out why it's doing this, I only feed every other day and in small amounts. Any suggestions?

Have you just added any new fish? Cloudy water often suggests a sudden boost in bacteria population, or a bacterial "bloom".

Nah, I haven't added any new fish to the DT in a while. I guess I'll have to wait it out and see if it clears on its own. I did a 30% water change earlier to try and clear it up a bit, but its had no effect.

By cloudy do you mean "Milky"...that might be your pump sucking air and shooting out microbubbles.

I guess you could call it milky/ hazy. I had no idea micro bubbles could make your tank cloudy, think I should shut down the skimmer for a day or two and see if it clears? The skimmer is the only pump that pulls in air, my PH's are Korelia 3's.

Have you dosed anything? Alkalinity or calcium supplements?

No, I don't currently use any sup's. I think maybe its a bacterial bloom making it cloudy. After doing some research it appears that it could randomly happen to newer tanks.

and in recent events, the water is now cloudy green. I guess I'm having a bit of an algae bloom. I tested nitrates and phosphates again and they came up to 10 and 0. I figured something had to be fueling the algae so I borrowed my brothers API test kit and what do you know, nitrates read at 10, but phosphates read at 0.5ppm. Faulty test kit FTL.
Guess I'll need to get some phossorb and get the phosphates down.

That's good. That is why it is so important to post #'s on your water test. It not only helps us but it lets you think the whole process out.

Back
Top Bottom