cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kurtyboh

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just moved, I have my livestock in my qt at a friends house to make everything a little less stressful. I drained wiped (with my fish towels that never see soap) and rinsed my dt (jbj 28 nano). I refilled the tank yesterday morning and the water is still very cloudy this afternoon (red Sea coral pro salt) I have never had it stay cloudy like this so was looking for some thoughts on it. Should I drain and make new wait longer?

ForumRunner_20130802_132207.jpg

That's about 30 hrs of mixing I have a korallia nano 425 and both accella powerheads running to mix.
The only thing that changed is i switched carbon brands.

I honestly have no idea. I would give it a while and see what happens. How long before the livestock needs to go into it?

They're in another tank doing fine so I have pretty much as much time as needed and usually give my water a few days after mixing before using, but I know it's usually clear fairly quickly. I don't want to be waiting on this for a few days and still have to toss it to start the process over. Plus I miss watching my fish...

Could it be that the tank is going through a cycle and that's a bacterial bloom?

All my tanks do that when they are nearly done cycling, but they are all fresh

Yeah I run 2 types the first is really coarse and the second is finer

ForumRunner_20130802_182821.jpg

You can see the top one is really coarse, I tried to take the shot at an angle.

I just noticed that it's creating some foam in the back... And is starting to smell like the goldfish bowl I had as a child.

ForumRunner_20130802_183641.jpg

That's the foam under the clearish plastic handle.

Daft Q did use RO water ? Did you check the TDS ?

You will get foam from the salt/water mix . Try putting some of you rock into it?

I have never had my new water foam before, all my lr is with the fish in the qt at a friends house

It appears as it may still be clearing up? Just very slowly... I may try to drop some rowa phos in, in the morning depending on how it looks.

I wonder if I added the salt too fast and this is the result of that
Either way, if it's not clear by tomorrow afternoon I think I'll be doing a massive water change if not replacing it all.

The tank won't cycle with just water I it ! You have to add the sand a rock!

There's nothing in it to be cycling the water is a day old and no ammonia source. What would be starting the cycle?
The rock in there has been dry for 2 yrs and is only in the tank to hold my plastic grate down.

There's nothing in it to be cycling the water is a day old and no ammonia source. What would be starting the cycle?
The rock in there has been dry for 2 yrs and is only in the tank to hold my plastic grate down.

If its a non fish cycke you need to add an ammonia source. IE- ammonia, or dead shrimp you know?

Back
Top Bottom