Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-01-2005, 10:24 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Cloudy water?

Thanks to my overcleaning my filters, I've started a mini cycle in my 30 gallon tank. (See my earlier thread on this fiasco). My ammonia spiked only to about 1.0 and I've done some water changes to keep it in check. Two days ago my nitrites jumped a little .25. Now this morning the water looks pretty cloudy. Is this a bactieria bloom that I'm seeing? And if so, should I resist doing another water change right now?

I have three fish in the tank (two false percs and a royal gramma). I understand that the cycle will catch up, but I just want to protect the livestock.

Old 06-01-2005, 01:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

ok, so after doing some research, it turns out that it is a bacterial bloom. Now my question is, will my fish be alright riding this out without any water change? Is there anything I can do to get more oxygen in the water or is this not much of a concern?

Old 06-01-2005, 01:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

You need to keep ammonia under .5ppm to avoid permanently damaging your fish's gills.

I don't see a link to your earlier thread on this fiasco - but to me it sounds like the tank wasn't properly cycled to begin with.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore
You need to keep ammonia under .5ppm to avoid permanently damaging your fish's gills.

I don't see a link to your earlier thread on this fiasco - but to me it sounds like the tank wasn't properly cycled to begin with.
Thanks. The tank was properly cycled. The problem was that I overcleaned all of my filters at the same time (dumb) and caused a mini cycle. I want to change the water to get the ammonia down. My question is, will this mess up the repopulation of beneficial bacteria? BTW I have also used ammo lock...
Old 06-01-2005, 03:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd change the water rather than use the ammo lock. That will probably inhibit the cycle from completing more so than the water changes. Good luck getting things back under control.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 03:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

thanks Phyl
Old 06-01-2005, 09:57 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to gooyferret Send a message via Yahoo to gooyferret
How many water changes have you done and over how much time? Are you adding any supplements to your water? What do you mean the water is cloudy.....that dont sound like a bacterial bloom.. From what i have heard bacteria will actually deplete your nitrites....Something dont make sense. Are you adding calcium to the system?
Old 06-02-2005, 10:20 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooyferret
How many water changes have you done and over how much time? Are you adding any supplements to your water? What do you mean the water is cloudy.....that dont sound like a bacterial bloom.. From what i have heard bacteria will actually deplete your nitrites....Something dont make sense. Are you adding calcium to the system?
Since the problem occured I've done two water changes (20% +) over the past week. What do you mean by supplements?

The water is hazy, uncolored, cloudy white if anything and it has already pretty much subsided (within 36 hrs.)

I'm not adding calcium.

thanks.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:47 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

...a dead spot will allow everything to settle to the bottom of the tank.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:53 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had the cloudy water when my tank cycled also. That's a normal part of a cycle. Especially that it subsided so quickly.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cloud, cloudy, cloudy water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com