Cloudy Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EvilTwin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Six days ago I migrated from a 60g hex to a standard 75g tank. Today I awoke to find my water had suddenly become very cloudy. Not so bad that I can't see the fish or the back of the tank, but a very noticable haze in the water. When I had the 60g tank I never saw this. What I am reading makes me think this is a bacteria bloom. Last night I added a plankton supplement for the yellow polyps that I have. Could this have done it? It said use 1 drop to 50g of water. I used two for my 75g (hard to measure half a drop).

One other thing I have done since moving tanks. On the old tank I always ran a magnum 350 canister with carbon along with a skimmer and two powerheads. That seemed to give me plenty of circulation in the tank. While setting up the new tank, I read more about canisters being nitrate factories and decided to leave it off, only using the 50 lbs of LR (which was in the old tank as well) as a biological filter, along with the powerheads and skimmer. Is this a good idea, bad idea or what?

What skimmer aand powerheads are you using? Do you run a sump or is all this stuff HOB?

I doubt the plankton would have made the tank that hazy. You should test for ammonia, and nitrates if you haven't already and let us know what they read.

Whne you migrated, it probably kicked off a mini cycle. You should check your water parameters, do a good water change and maybe run some carbon. I had a problem with my water clouding up, and running carbon really helped.

i would run some carbon or get some chemi-pure. the chemi pure mad my tank crystal clear in two hours its really great. don't run my tamk with out it

Back
Top Bottom