cloudy water on an established tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr.Nate

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've done a search on this and didn't come up with any help. I have an established tank (6 months old now). Currently, I have no fish (going fallow for ich), and just 4 corals. I've checked my parameters, and they are as follows...

ammonia...0
nitrite....0
nrate...0
sg....1.025
kh.....7
ph....8.1
calcium....420

The only thing I have changed recently is that I added some chaeto to my fuge 24 hrs. ago.

Any thoughts? Should I be worried or let it pass? I've read some stuff on here about hydrogen sulfide.....it does smell a little. What, if anything, can I do about HS? TIA

How long has the tank been fallow? Could be you've had a massive die off of bacteria.

Have you been feeding the tank? If so, with what/how often?

Cheers
Steve

Oh, sorry....forgot to mention that I have 2 cleaner shrimp and about 10 crabs....so I've been feeding 3 times per week for them only. There is no "color" to the water, but it doesn't have a real strong odor either. Just mild odor. The only other thing I changed (since it's been fallow) is that I added a sump/refugium, but that was about a week ago. Any help?

Have you been feeding what you normally would have with fish or an appropriate amount for 3 shrimp?

There's a big difference between the two and the needs of the bacteria.

Cheers
Steve

yes, I've been feeding what I normally would for fish, etc....I have never changed the schedule...3 times per week even without fish due to massive appetites of shrimp and crabs...ha.

Nothing is standing out then really. The chem doesn't support a precip event, feeding would suggest the bacteria would be sustained more or less and chaeto does not release sexual material/caulerpicins.

The only two things left are heat causing massive bacterial reproduction or sediment/dust possibley from the new sand in the fuge?

Cheers
Steve

Thanks, steve....I'll check the temp.....haven't looked in awhile. Don't think it's sediment, that only last a day or two.

Back
Top Bottom