Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-20-2012, 04:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Cloudy water solution

Hey guys,

It's about week four since the end of my cycle. All levels are good:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5ppm
Ph 8.2
Phosphate 0

I had a diatom bloom a couple weeks ago but time and the addition of a fighting couch and a twin spot goby solved that.

I've done a 25 percent change today and cleaned out the filter which had some fine sand in the bottom. (fluval 306 canister) and cleaned my reef octopus bh100

Yet the water is still cloudy. Could this be a suspended diatom bloom? All fish (1 oce, 1 bicolor blenny and the goby) and inverts eating and acting normal.

Is this just a normal stage in the aging process?

Old 12-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not sure if its normal but that had happened to me when I cycled my BC29. It went away in about 2-3 days.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlgrey23 View Post
Hey guys,

It's about week four since the end of my cycle. All levels are good:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5ppm
Ph 8.2
Phosphate 0

I had a diatom bloom a couple weeks ago but time and the addition of a fighting couch and a twin spot goby solved that.

I've done a 25 percent change today and cleaned out the filter which had some fine sand in the bottom. (fluval 306 canister) and cleaned my reef octopus bh100

Yet the water is still cloudy. Could this be a suspended diatom bloom? All fish (1 oce, 1 bicolor blenny and the goby) and inverts eating and acting normal.

Is this just a normal stage in the aging process?
If there was sand in the filter then most likely the cloudiness is from sand particulate blowing about the tank. Possibly from a poorly positioned powerhead or too much flow directed at the sand bed.

The other possibility is a bacteria bloom. This is less likely but if it is whats causing it then it will clear up in a few days.

If you have sugar fine sand it can be a bit harder to keep it on the bottom where it belongs.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism

If there was sand in the filter then most likely the cloudiness is from sand particulate blowing about the tank. Possibly from a poorly positioned powerhead or too much flow directed at the sand bed.

The other possibility is a bacteria bloom. This is less likely but if it is whats causing it then it will clear up in a few days.

If you have sugar fine sand it can be a bit harder to keep it on the bottom where it belongs.
I do have a very fine sand, ooslite, hadn't stirred it up myself, but who knows what all those snails and hermits do when I am sleeping!

As long as everyone is eating and seems happy I don't mind it too much. I'll be patient. Would like it to clear up by the new year when I am going place a few softies in the tank.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlgrey23 View Post

I do have a very fine sand, ooslite, hadn't stirred it up myself, but who knows what all those snails and hermits do when I am sleeping!

As long as everyone is eating and seems happy I don't mind it too much. I'll be patient. Would like it to clear up by the new year when I am going place a few softies in the tank.
Eventually you will filter out most of the fines as they get stirred up by whatever so over time the water will clear up.

Tags
cloud, cloudy, cloudy water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com