Clove polyp health and growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Softie Guy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have some multicolored clove polyps that do not seem to have the best color. The seller said they needed lots of light; my 3 watt LEDs may have toasted them a bit even though they were as low as they could go in the tank. I have them in a less bright part of the tank now. Any advice for their optimal health and growth?

A pic would be nice to see:)

I just bought a clove polyp yesterday too and it opened today. It looks an orange inside and green on the outside :) for 3 heads it was $20

I went to my lfs and picked up some pulsing xenia w. zoas on a small frag for $39 - I told the guy my budget was $50 I wanted try and fill my "budget" but I was just looking for a deal lol I said I have 10 more to spend he gave me a small frag of clove polyps 5 heads had hair algae on it came right off, 8 bucks. Didn't open yet, placed on the sand bed - no rock what should I do?

daney90 said:
A pic would be nice to see:)

I just bought a clove polyp yesterday too and it opened today. It looks an orange inside and green on the outside :) for 3 heads it was $20

Sorry that I cannot post picks. The cloves I have may be called lightning clove polyps. They have green centers with orange highlight around the perimeter.

TommyP said:
I went to my lfs and picked up some pulsing xenia w. zoas on a small frag for $39 - I told the guy my budget was $50 I wanted try and fill my "budget" but I was just looking for a deal lol I said I have 10 more to spend he gave me a small frag of clove polyps 5 heads had hair algae on it came right off, 8 bucks. Didn't open yet, placed on the sand bed - no rock what should I do?

If your zoas do not open, you may want to dose with vit C. Reef Central has a very long and useful discussion that has been archived. Some expert recommended Nutribiotic brand sodium ascorbate because it is a vit c compound that has been stripped of the acidity. It caused a bacteria bloom. My tank does much better with Spring Valley brand 500 mg vit C tablets from Wal Mart. It is much cheaper too!

daney90 said:
Did your cloves open yet after dosing vit c?

The cloves were opened prior yet the bodies of the cloves look bleached out a bit due to too much light. I would like to post pics yet will need a better camera The vit C is mostly for the zoas to help with color and prevent infections yet does not harm the cloves I guess. I have tried not dosing for periods and have not seen a change in the cloves. I believe the problem was too much light.

My zoas opened on the frag w/ Xenia but I had the clove polyps tucked into the sand bed by a hermit must of moved it out and it was laying on the sand. I tried to stick it in a small crevice ill see what happens when I get home if it didn't get blown off. It opened a little bit couldn't really tell any colors. I've never dosed anything.

TommyP said:
My zoas opened on the frag w/ Xenia but I had the clove polyps tucked into the sand bed by a hermit must of moved it out and it was laying on the sand. I tried to stick it in a small crevice ill see what happens when I get home if it didn't get blown off. It opened a little bit couldn't really tell any colors. I've never dosed anything.

How are the clove polyps doing? Opened up yet?

Yeah it's hard to find somewhere to put them I know there was like 5 heads on it and I let is slip between a crack near some zoas I have to move it and find a better place. They're nice when open but can barely see them where they are. Not bad for 8 bucks though. Ill move them sometime today and then snap a shot if they open.

Back
Top Bottom