Clove polyps?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tooldini

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a colony of clove polyps that seem to be dieing off or something. I am not sure the life span of them. The colony started out with about 10 polyps in April and is now very big. It grows almost daily but the original section appears to be dieing and has very tiny what appear to be little xenia's or something. Is this normal? My tank is a little more than 6 months old. The pic was taken in the early morning right after turning lights on so many aren't extended or anything. Any help I would appreciate

thanks
Jeff

Those are glove polyps not clove polyps. I have some in my tank and they grow pretty quick. I didn't think you could actually kill these things as I have done all kinds of things to mine and can't get rid of them for the life of me. If there is something growing amongst them they might be competing for food. The ones in your pic look fine to me.

Send a pic after lights have been on for a while. Everybody`s tank looks rough when you first cut the lights on. Also what about water params. Have you checked anything.

Thanks guys,, I was wondering if they were glove polyps or cloves LOL so know i Know. Anyway the top pic is when the lights have been on for many hours. If you look close in the center you can see the small corals or whatever I am thinking is killing the lower part of the colony. They look kinda like xenias or something.

thanks
Jeff

tooldini said:
If you look close in the center you can see the small corals or whatever I am thinking is killing the lower part of the colony. They look kinda like xenias or something.
Can you get a closer/clearer pic? It actually looks like you have hydroids growing in their midst.

Cheers
Steve

Still hard to be possitive but it's either a polyped hydroid or aiptasia. Either way it will be what's causing your problem. Joe's juice should take care of either.

Cheers
Steve

glove polyps

Thanks for the advice. I got some Joe's juice today and zapped the intruders. That must have been the problem. The rest of the colony looks very good.

thanks
Jeff

(y) (y)

Keep an eye on it though, hydroids can be tough to erradicate. There is a good chance they may come back, several treatments not being uncommon.

Cheers
Steve

thats exactly what I was wondering,, the corals look kinda pissed today,, I heard this is normal. I tried not to get much juice around the gloves but some it was floating around them :( Do you think they will be OK?

thanks
Jeff

A little stray product won't harm anything really. It's only going to hurt the clove is it gets used in large amounts and actually placed on the polyp. Passive amounts foating into it may cause it to close up but shouldn't damage it.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom