Clown Acting Strange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zmaxx50

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Yesterday I noticed that one of my clowns was hiding in a hole in my lr and now the other clown is doing the same. If I watch them for a while they lay on there side like they are dead but when i duck down I see them turn over like they are fine. Are they trying to hide eggs they also come out when the lights are out.

How old is the tank? How long have the clowns been in the setup? What are the water perameters?

My clowns float a bit when they are sleeping. Probably nothing to worry about. Provide the above info for a better idea of any problems.

The tank is 8 months old. The clowns have been it for 2 and a half months.
Ammonia .5
nitrate 0
nitrite 0
salt was low 1.018 so i added salt and now it is 1.021
The last water change was friday and added snails friday and a moon sponge saturday. They have came out since I have added more salt.

ideally you want no ammonia. I have seen tanks with higher ammonia than that with no immediate problems. Definately get it to zero as it will harm the fish if left unchecked. You said you add3ed salt to the water to bring up salinity. How did you do this? Did you add salt directly to the tank? The best way is to make a batch of new SW at a higher salinity and let it heat and aerate for 24 hrs then add to the tank. This will bring up the tanks salinity slowly. Undessolved salt can burn the gills of fish and quick jumps in salinity can be harmful as well.

What test kit are you using? I would have the LFS verify the ammonia level. As mentioned, any detectable ammonia is a very bad thing. Do a water change inthe mean time to be on the safe side.

Back
Top Bottom