Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-15-2005, 01:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Clown Advice

I just put my first fishes in. Two little clowns. They were already tank-mates at the LFS. They seem healthy and very active and are never apart. I think they are eating. I feed them frozen brine shrimp everyother day. The brine flows all over and I haven't actually seen them go for it. Is this enough/too much?
What is sort of bothering me is they stay in the same corner of my 55, constantly swimming into the corner of the tank at the bottom. Is this normal? I have had them four days now.
A side question. Is it abrupt to kill the lights completely before I go to bed or should I keep an ambient light(lamp) on for a while after shutting off the tank lights?

Old 02-15-2005, 01:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you have a rock or something for them to hide behind or in? Since they are new they are afraid. Having something in there with them will reduce stress. Also it is normal for them to swim in the corner. Once they get used to you they will eat out of your hand.

Also while fish like brine, it offers no nutritional value to the fish diet unless soaked in vitamins. I would suggest some flake food as well, or even your own homeade stuff using fesh fish, shrimp,.....ect.....If you want to know more about the homeade just let me know. Mine also will it Spirulina.

While I think the abrupt light wont hurt them, I am sure it bothers them. I would use the lamp.

Old 02-15-2005, 01:58 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

What kind of clowns? Wild or tank raised? I seem to remember yellow striped maroons not swimming out in the front like the percs.

My whites go off and the blue/actinic stays on for an hour. Then all off. The transition seems to help everyone slow down a bit before the abrupt daylight to nite switch. Of course there are the moon lights 24/7.

Be careful w/that lamp. Not too much of it too brightly. IMO, you kinda want them to have some darkness to stop doing the things they do and get rest, but while this transition is going on, Rev's suggestion should help them.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 02:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have 40 lbs LR and some coral skeletons so they have good areas to hang out and sleep.
I will accept any and all advice on feeding. I don't trust the LFS. There is another post regarding feeding. Do you turn of the filters and powerheads while feeding? The stuff flys everywhere but where the fish are.

Eating out of my hand? Cool. :P
Old 02-15-2005, 02:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

They are Ocilleris clowns. Not sure if tank raised and I meant to ask. I have a feeling they were. They are so small. I'll give them a call.
As for the lamp, I just leave a lamp on at the other end of the living room for ten minutes, then completely dark. I don't have the fancy compacts with timers...yet.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Check the other post on the PH question.

PS. You will be able to hold a pinch of food in your fingers and they will eat it right out of there. Today my whitecheeck tang took a little nibble of my finger actually...... 8O
Old 02-18-2005, 06:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My clowns were very timid when I first got them - hiding in the back under rocks buried in the substrate. One of them unfortunately made a run for freedom and didn't survive

The survivor isn't very shy at all anymore - particularly with his anemone. Sometimes if his anemone needs to be moved he nips at my hand.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clown

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com