Clown Aggression Issues!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Macscale

Aquarium Advice Addict
Alright, this is ridicoulous. In my 20g Nano, I have a pair of Ocellaris clowns. They've been in there together for over a month, and they keep fighting. The bigger one is always biting at the small of, and I can't stick my hand in there to clean whiteout getting bitten. I don't know what to do. At all. I was thinking about returning the clown and getting a different fish. Is there something I can do to make them better?

The one thing to keep in mind is that clownfish will often not get along with other clownfish in the tank. Ocellaris Clownfish are among the least aggressive, however, multiple clownfish (even other Ocellaris) will often fight. If you want to have multiple clowns, it is best to introduce them at the same time and make sure they have plenty of room. Alternatively, you could introduce a smaller clownfish, which is likely a male or juvenile, to a more established, somewhat larger clownfish. The larger clown will likely be aggressive to the newcomer but as long as they are not both females, the smaller fish will usually submit to the female and become the male. They will often pair up and sometimes even become mates.

http://www.ocellarisclownfish.com/ocellaris-clownfish-care/

Unfortunately not much can be done. The big one is showing its dominance. I have 3 and for awhile I couldn't put my hand in with out being bitten. She finally stopped when I started using a net to catch her while I did what I needed. Idk why it worked but after catching the big one twice she stopped.

She stopped for about a day when I caught her, but it's such a hassle to catch her. Do you think it would just be better to return them?

Mine gave up after awhile but clownfish can be very mean and may continue to bite. If it doesn't change you may want to trade her in if you don't want to deal with her.

Clowns are mean, I showed mine whose boss with my turkey baster so they leave me alone now when I put my hands in the tank but I had to start a new tank just to save my green clown goby from them

The best way to get them to bond and lower aggression IME is to buy 2 small ones at the same time, preferably 2 from the same tank but not necessary, acclimate them with the lights off and leave them off for a few hours after adding to tank. I've also heard of people floating a breeder box in the tank and putting the smaller one in it so they can get used to seeing each other but can't get at the other one

Yeah I added them maybe 2 days apart, that may be the problem. They were in the same tank though. I had them not sell the second one on purpose. I just don't think clowns are all that great anymore. Finding Nemo builds them up to be a lot better then they are.
What do you guys think would be good to replace them with?

They look pretty cool. I might add some Firefish, probably purple or helfrichi, even though they can get expensive.

I completely forgot there was a whole website for nano-forums. Haha, thanks though.

Back
Top Bottom