Clown and the anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jumbaaa

Aquarium Advice Regular
Was giving a nice rose bud anemone the other day and was wondering I there any way to coax my clown fish to adopt it?

I've heard of a few ways. Some people have had success with taping a pic of a clown and nem to the tank lol. Coincidence maybe. I've also seen people who take the nem and clowns out and put them in a bucket alone for a half hour or so. I would not recommend that. Too much risk for me of damaging the nem. Also you could put clownfish food by the anemone so the clowns have no choice, if they're hungry they have to go by the anemone.

I forced them in the same container, soon as they touched them nem a couple of times there was no separating them

I've used a plastic colander with good success on two pairs of clowns on a BTA and on a sebae. I used string to hold the colander in place on the surface of the water and had the clowns and anemone stay there together for a couple weeks. I fed near the anemone so that the clowns were forced to go near the anemone. Worked pretty well.

What about anemone killing Clownfish- is this common, do I need to worry. I have a 40 gallon tall tank with a six week happy clownfish and just added two anemone yesterday. One pro said the anemone are going to go around my tank stinging everything and could kill my clown.

Not too common, especially with clowns. Anemone's only move to get to a better location (flow and/or light). Once they've found their spot it's rare for it to move around unless your tank isn't suited for an anemone and/or you don't keep up with your tanks' maintenance (new bulbs when needed, proper fish feeding etc).

One pro said the anemone are going to go around my tank stinging everything and could kill my clown.

Not sure why a pro would say this tbh. Anemone's don't make a habit of hunting their prey.

I agree with Rick. Clown fish are resistant to anemone stings and the odds of an anemone killing a healthy clown are extremely slim.
A clown does not need anemone, and an anemone doesn't need a clown either. They may never pair up, as long as they live.

anemone and clownfish

Thanks- I returned one anemone but am keeping the white one for now. The Clownfish is healthy (once I learned it is normal for them to sleep on their side at the top of the tank). Man, for being to tranquil, who knew fish could have so much drama ;-). Thanks for all the advise.

AquaRick said:
I've used a plastic colander with good success on two pairs of clowns on a BTA and on a sebae. I used string to hold the colander in place on the surface of the water and had the clowns and anemone stay there together for a couple weeks. I fed near the anemone so that the clowns were forced to go near the anemone. Worked pretty well.

How did you remove the nem with out hurting it?

It's foot may get through the vertical slits, but gently pushing it's foot from the outside works well. Never pull an anemone's foot.

Well you push him through from the outside of the colander back into it. It's usually the foot that tries to get through the colander slits. It's plastic so it won't affect your water and the anemone can't stick to it.

Now what happened. Before dinner of brine fish and coral food it was fine, came back from dinner and it looks like it imploded and white stringy stuff is floating around tank- all fish appear fine???

Attachments

• image-3416844926.jpg
    image-3416844926.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 85
  • image-1830325271.jpg
    image-1830325271.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 78
  • image-2837524970.jpg
    image-2837524970.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 71
That looks like a condy anemone and an occelaris clown. Condy's aren't known to host clowns very well if at all.

As for the stringy stuff, did you happen to feed it anything lately? Even small pieces of target fed food can agitate and/or stress the anemone.

I believe condys are from the Atlantic therefore never see clownfish in the wild. I could never get one to host

Back
Top Bottom