Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-02-2010, 08:12 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Well the problem with my tomato continues.. I had three peppermint shrimp when this started and went down to one.. Those are the ones I whitnessed and posted first.... I started to feed twice a day everday directly towards the tomato clown... Seemed to be working with less aggression... So I bought five more peppermint to replace his dinner... They are alot smaller and are part of my cuc (clean up crew)... Well as of last night I went from six to four... Was a whitness to one but not the other.. IT was round 10:30pm when he snatched the first one the sameway he did the other and feed it to his anemone... Came home from work today at 5pm and lost another... I feed all my corals every other day.. I feed the anemone and have been for six or more months 10 to 15ml of frozen mysis... I even started to feed more thinking it wasnt enough sence the first lost... When I started to feed the anemone a larger meal he would reject it still feeding every other day.. I started to feed 20ml of mysis and the tomato would eat what was rejected... But still he continues to eat my peppermint... The new peppermint where bought Tuesday this week....I have a cleaner shrimp that lives not five inches form him and he doesnt pay it no mind... The cleaner has been around longer then the tomato and as long as the anemone.. Also have a pistol and he dosnt bother it...( probably cant find him is why..lol)... IF anyone knows or has had this before, I would like to Know if it can be stopped??? or is it time to find him a home....

bdaniel37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:34 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Well im just going to stop getting peppermint shrimp until I upgrade to a bigger aquarium.. I had 8 peppermint all together sence this started like what a month to a month in a half, and my clown has eatin all of them.. I can tell you though that my anemone has doubled in size:p..bigger them my DIY overflow box useing 2 specimen containers..

Old 09-12-2010, 11:52 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic
The reason he probably leaves the cleaner alone is it was there first and it is considered "not food" by the clown. Anything else you add that he has established as "food" will get eaten. If you had a spare tank setup, I'd say try removing him for a few weeks, add a new shrimp, then reintroduce him and see what he does. He may recognize that one as "not food".
"If your wife ever asks how much something was for your tank, just tell her you got it on sale and you had to have it! She'll understand"

Krypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:58 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via MSN to SHARPiE
I've also heard cleaner shrimp are like the medics in battle - a no-go zone.
20 Gal - Planted CO2 Community Tank
4.5 Gal - Planted Shrimp Tank - in progress

Useful Acronyms
SHARPiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:07 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
Are you buying true peps or the $2 ones? if it is making your anem happy, I'd keep getting them.
cabezon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:42 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Newbie
No, true peps. Cost me 7.50$ unless you get a goup.. The first three peps were in the aquaium atleats 3 months or better before the first was eaten. Then 2 weeks later the remaining. Then a week later I purchased 5 more and within a shy 2 weeks none... I upgraded to a 40B with the used to be 20g now a refugium and a 10 gallon sump.. Maybe the extra room may help ,if not I will try to remove him to give the new shrimp time to get established...
Old 09-18-2010, 09:43 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Every time my shrimp molt I think of this thread

capj64 is offline   Reply With Quote

ate, clown, led, pepper, peppermint

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com