Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-21-2010, 11:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Question Clown ate and killed peppermint

So I came home from work like always and observed my 20 gallon long tank with 10 gallon sump/refugium. Like every other day round 8pm i feed my corals. I mostly feed everyday if time permits. I dont phiscally feed the fish sence they are part of my CUC.(Now when I say I dont feed the fish, its BC after I turn the power heads back on. All the uneatin food is everywhere.) Now my peppermint shrimp wasnt acting normal to me. My six line and damsel where following her round the tank in my more higher flow area. It was round 7pm and figured i would go ahead and feed to distract the fish from the shrimp to help me find out more bout her behavior. So, come to find out she was trying to molt and did. And as soon as she got her last leg out of her molt my 3.5 inch figi tomato clown came out of his condylatis anemone and grabed her. Kinda shock me. lol. He ripped her in half with a shake. Ate one half and feed the rest to his anemone. So my question is to why? Is he to agressive? Not starving seeing i feed everyday. I have had him for 8 months and never seen this behavior before or have any unexplained deaths. SO???

Old 08-22-2010, 12:36 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

thats pretty weird i was always under the impression that clowns were invertebrate safe

Old 08-22-2010, 12:40 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've never heard of not feeding the fish. I know not to over feed them (now) but if you don't feed them I'd assume that they're hungry enough to rip anything apart.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:35 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

You may have miss under stood. When i say i dont feed the fish its bc they should eat off the reef and sence i feed the corals everyday the fish get alot after i turn power heads back on. Trust me they eat alot and have the belly to prove it. lol...
Old 08-22-2010, 02:34 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

i think my clown ate my pepermint as well... one day i came back to my tank and i saw parts of it floating on the bottom, not molted or anything, meaty chunks. at the time i only had 2 fish in my tank, a clown and a scooter blenny and i know he didn't eat it.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:43 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

lol, that's probably what your scooter blenny is hoping you think

Sorry for misunderstanding your post. I'm glad your guys get something to eat My clown likes to follow the shrimp, snails and crabs around but I've never seen him act mean towards them. He actually acts like he's in love with my turbo snail. He'll lay on the rock in front of the snail and watch it forever.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:01 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

the anemone told him to do it
Old 08-25-2010, 10:38 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's actually pretty normal for some clowns to hunt for their nem. Some just take it to the next level I guess.

-Chuck
Krypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:45 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I figured he was just hungry or feeding his home. I feed him directly now twice a day and seems to be less agressive... Now the only thing I have to brake him of is everytime I get anything new he will go behind it and push it over, rocks corals dosent matter to him, into the sand it goes... LOL...
Old 08-28-2010, 01:59 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

lol, sounds like he would get along great with my clown, Dexter

Tags
ate, clown, led, pepper, peppermint

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com