Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-05-2009, 12:20 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

clown attacking damsel?

do you think a clown fish is capable of killing a yellow tail damsel?

my clown fish is attacking my damsel lol.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:01 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What type of clown is it, some are very aggressive.
BTW a clown is a damsel.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:40 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ocellaris Clown.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:29 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

It shouldn't be attacking the damsel unless it is hosting something in the area that the damsel is swimming around. It could be hosting something as silly as a power head.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

okay. lol i just think its funny because usually damsels attack things that are smaller than them and the clowns are pretty small lol..

oh well atleast the damsels are not messing with them. because i was told by everyone they will mess with my fishes but they are really harmless lol.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:49 PM   #6
is back to save the day!

Honestly.. doesn't sound like anything out of the ordinary to me. Damsels are generally aggressive and territorial especially if there is another fish in the tank with the same size and/or shape and/or colors. A larger tank would bring this factor down a bit, but not by much. They need something that blocks their line of sight, so they can't see eachother. I have ocellaris, and even though they are considered to be the "nicest" of the clowns, i can't really say they are all that nice. My two clowns really attacked eachother and my emerald crabs relentlessly until i put an end to it lol. All this sounds like to me is normal behavior between two "sometimes" aggressive fish.

However, to stop the fighting you can turn off the lights. Turning off the lights always stops fish from fighting. That's how i got my fish to stop fighting for good. You can also put a little food in the tank when they are duking it out. That will usually sidetrack them for some time. I used both of these methods, but i found the lights-out thing works the best, considering it even stopped the fighting for good.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:55 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I watched a dvd being a newbie at this they say rearange your and disturb the fish they concentrate finding a new home and rebuild it. Like i do everytime i use to put a fish in and just make sure everything is secured and move stuff slightly even if its a inch, i saw it on a dvd hehe if that be ANY HELP lol
Old 11-05-2009, 03:17 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

everything seem to be fine. i my clowns swim along with the damsels now and sometimes my royal gramma joins the fun
Old 11-05-2009, 05:55 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to abrahamavelar Send a message via Yahoo to abrahamavelar
well i have 2 clowns and i think were the oc's they were the cheapest onse and they always fought with my 3 dominoes and made them swim away in a panic mode and the dominoes are supposed to be really mean
Old 11-06-2009, 03:57 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

i have 2 clowns they like hanging around near my glass cleaninh magnet

Tags
attacking, clown, damsel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com