Clown Behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdnelson99

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, so I am pretty new to all this and very well may be reading way more into it than I should.

I have a pair of regular clowns. About a month ago I bought a pretty nice size Frogspawn hoping they might host it. About 1-1/2 months ago I watched what is pretty common behavior for a pair of clowns. The larger showing some aggression and the small showing the twitching submission behavior. I haven’t seen it in a while though. Last night, I saw something that has me puzzled.

The larger clown (not sure if it is female yet) started swimming into a pass thru cave in the rocks close to the sand bed. It would hover in the cave then come to the opening and point straight up with the tail close to the sand. Then it would use the tail to hollow out the sand making a depression. It would then swim over near the Frogspawn and hover but never really enter it. The smaller one, was hanging at the other end of the tank and now and then the bigger one would go over and be aggressive and the smaller one would twitch.

None of this behavior was continuous but sporadic throughout the night. Especially after the whites went out and only the blues were one. I just had a sneaky suspicion that she was either getting ready to mate or to host. Anyone have any thought? I am not concerned but just curious.

Could be setting a place up, or just being goofy. Mine started swimming against the PH currents yesterday and almost got shot out the water. Lil' guy is not as strong a swimmer as he thinks...lol

LOL Thats funny. :) I am half tempted to move the Frogspawn to that area. It is on a nice size rock that can be easily moved.

I bought a frogspawn hoping for the same results...didn't happen....instead, one clown hosted my toadstool, one hides under it and the other just swims around aimlessly....lol. Here is pic of the toadstool cradling my clown at lights out.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111115_132922.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111115_132922.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 68
My clowns would "clean" an area before spawning. That could be what's going on. They do call them clowns for a reason haha, they do some unexplainable crazy things.

My most trusted LFS replied to the same thread I posted on a local forum.

" Fanning is pretty common behavior. I wouldn't say that mating is imminent because many clowns (esp. female) will fan. They clear a spot where eggs could be laid.

Mating is imminent when they start scraping the cleaned area with their teeth, and usually both fish do that.

Jenn
"

Back
Top Bottom