clown compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nodoubt471

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have this monster ocellaris, who is about 3.5-4 in and is a good 4 yrs old. it is happy as could be, has never had any disease or anything, and also has never been in the presence of another clown (well since i rescued him from the dealer).

now from everything ive read, i am assuming my clown is a female, since i beleive in the absence of other clowns ocellaris become females.

now i want to breed her. do you think she is too old? has she been too long without a partner? there are some really healthy awesome looking juvenile ocellaris at my LFS that i have been eying for a couple weeks now. what do you guys think? would she massacare him?

also, shes been in my 46 with other fish her whole life. would moving her to a broodstock tank with just another ocellaris be too much for her? im really attached i dont want to take any chances.

thanks guys!

IMO you would be better off getting new pair and leaving her where she is.

You can add a small male to the main tank and hope they will spawn in there. It can take up to a year before they start to spawn. When she first lays the eggs that is spot she has chosen and will continue to lay eggs at that spot. Before the next spawn place a tile at the same spot so the tile can be easily removed with the eggs attached. remove the tile( w/eggs attached) to a grow out tank for the frys.
It is not an easy process to raise fry. You have to cultivate your own food or the frys will starve and die.

I haven't tried breeding and I have no experience but I have read Joyce Wilkerson's book on Clown fish and several forum post on breeding clown fishes. It's very time comsuming and you need all this extra equipment and space.

Good luck and I bet your clown will be happy to have a companion.

hmm yea i think ill just go with the new pair altogether. wouldnt want to do anything to disrupt my poor old girl.

i have my broodstock tank cycled and ready to go, im planning on adding the pair later today. hopefully in 6 months or so ill be begging somebody to get these extra clowns off my hands :)

has anybody here had sucess with breeding clowns? any dos or donts? i too have read joyce wilkerson's book cover to cover several times, but any hands on advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Back
Top Bottom