Clown Eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your so lucky Ziggy, I would love to be able to do this :D

LOL thanks. We'll see how lucky I am when I actually start raising the fry. If all goes well and I can get them to survive I may get a second mated pair. I'm thinking gold stripped maroon clowns for my next pair. My wife will probably kill me unless I'm able to sell them.

LOL thanks. We'll see how lucky I am when I actually start raising the fry. If all goes well and I can get them to survive I may get a second mated pair. I'm thinking gold stripped maroon clowns for my next pair. My wife will probably kill me unless I'm able to sell them.

Haha, i'm sure you'll be able to sell man, there clowns and everyone wants clowns.

Well I just walked through the door a few minutes ago and much to my surprise I have a giant nest and it is on the tile I have next to the frogspawn. Step one is complete. As long as they continue to lay eggs on the tile I will be able to remove them easily.

I'll get a pic of the nest later today when the lights come on and after I have had a nap.

The eggs that were laid on 12/23 are developing nicely. I've been working on cleaning out my 10g tanks to get them ready for hatching the eggs as well as raising the fry. I'm going to my LFS tomorrow to work something out on rotifers to feed with. I may be able to do something with this nest we will see. They should hatch on or about 1/1

Exactly...You are supposed to move the eggs right before they hatch so they have the benefit of the parents keeping them flushed and oxygenated.

Are you putting them in a bag under water so they don't hit the air before you put them into the other Tank? Sorry for the questions I am just interested in this thread, and just for Future reference for myself.

I have not moved the eggs at all yet so I'm not sure how I will do it. I was thinking putting the tile in a bowl and then move them in water.

The current nest is progressing nicely. I'm starting to see the eyes with silver rings so it wont be long before they hatch. I opened a pic of them in paint and colored each egg (100 per color) and ended counted 989 eggs. I was floored!!!

I don't think I'm going to be ready for this nest as I just got my book in today. Joyce D. Wilkerson Clownfishes; A Guide to Their Captive Care, Breeding & Natural History. I'm going to try and read through the book tonight. I have most everything I need to raise the fry and a local source for Rots so I may be able to give this nest a try but I'm not counting on it.

The Female is already showing signs of being full of eggs so I expect her to lay a few days after this nest hatches. I've also found a pair of Tomato clowns that have been laying eggs for some time. I'm working on getting them from a local reefer. If all goes well I should be raising, O. Clowns, Tomatoes and Gold Stripped Maroons within a couple of months.

Try starting from page 90 I think, Im not home so I dot have the book right in front of me but I think thats where the breeding chapter starts. :)

Thanks for the tip. I intend to read it cover to cover a couple of times and will probably reference it through out. I see that she talks a lot about ORA and their breeding programs so that is very encouraging.

Well I missed the hatching by a couple of days. They hatched out sometime last night. That's ok I wasn't ready for the eggs anyway and this gives me another 2 weeks to get things together.

HOLY CRAP!!! We have another nest and the coolest part was I got to see them being laid. After a few minutes it dawned on me to take some pics. My wife got some video but I haven't looked at it yet. This just happened about 10 minutes ago. I'm uploading the pics I got and will post them as soon as they are uploaded. This was probably one of the coolest things I have yet to see in this hobby.

Pics on the way...I'll look at the video and see if it is worth uploading since it was done with the camera and not the video camera.

Back
Top Bottom