clown fish and anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

debster

Aquarium Advice Newbie
any ideas on how to get my clown fish to go into my magnificant anemone which i just purchased. Thanks. Debster

What species of clown is it? H magnifica is a host anemone, but not all clowns are found with it, they can be very specific as to which anemones they will go into.

The tomatos are not naturally found with H. magnifica, but the percula should take to it, I would be suprised if the tomatos didn't take to it , as well. Just give them time.

Anemone fishes and their Host Sea Anemones

AMPHIPRION MELANOPUS BLEEKER, 1852

Red and Black Anemonefish

Original description: As Amphiprion melanopus, from specimens collected at Ambon (Molucca Islands, Indonesia)

Colour features and size: Adults usually black on sides with reddish snout, belly, dorsal fin, and tail (sometimes pale yellow); pelvic and anal fins usually black; a single relatively broad white bar on head. Some individuals from the Coral Sea lack head bar; fish from the Fiji Islands and southeastern Polynesia entirely red except for white head bar; those from the Solomon Islands, Vanuatu, and New Caledonia have reduced black patch on the side. Maximum length about 120 mm.

Similar species: In the normal adult colouration, the black pelvic and anal fins easily distinguish A. melanopus from the other single-barred, red-finned species, A. frenatus (South China Sea to Japan) and A. rubrocinctus (northwestern Australia). However, Fijian and southeastern Polynesian specimens are readily confused with the red males of A. frenatus. The best means of separation is the pronounced black border on the margins (particularly the rear one) of the white head bar in A. frenatus, which is lacking in A. melanopus.

Host anemone species: Usually Entacmaea quadricolor; occasionally Heteractis crispa; rarely H. magnifica

Melanistic variation: None except variation between "normal" dark colour phase and red "Fijian" phase noted above.

Distribution: Indonesia (Bali westward), Melanesia, Micronesia, southeastern Polynesia, and Great Barrier Reef - Coral Sea.

This may sound like a crazy suggestion, but I have heard of people trying it. If you can find a picture of the same type of clown in the same type of anemone, tape it to the front glass of your aquarium. Kind of a "learn by example" idea...

I laughed when I first heard this idea, but people have said it worked... could just be coincidence though.

i have also heard of shining a little light on the anemone at night so the clown can see it. ive never had an anemone so id ont know if it works, but its worth a try. but its not a bad thing to just be patient and let nature take its course.

well I'm still trying to be patient but in the mean time is there something special I should be feeding the amemone since the person at the LFS said the clown fish will feed it everything it needs and since my clown fish aren't visiting yet I'm guessing I need to do something. Thanks for your help. Debster

My Percula took almost a month to host a Sebae, but in my other tank my Gold Stripe Maroon hosted a Bubble Tip while I was still putting it in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom