Clown Fish & Anemone Help...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fiddlerthecrab

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone!!!

I've been doing a lot of research lately on my Clownfish and have read a lot about it's relationship with Anemone. I recently purchased an Anemone in the hopes that she would host it. It hasn't happened yet. Infact, she trys to completely avoid it.

I started thinking that if I used my baster to feed the Clown fish next to the Anemone, she might accidently brush up against the tenticles and realize that it's ok. This method hasn't worked either. She just waits of the tenticles to fling around and drop any excess flakes to the sand.

I have also tried moving the big Anemone to the location in the tank where the Clownfish always rests. The Clownfish just found a new spot to camp out.

With more research, I read that I could place the Anemone in a bucket with the Clownfish, and they might unite that way. I was thinking if the Clownfish didn't take to it naturally, I could slowly siphon the water to a level where she doesn't have a choice. To me, it just doesn't sound safe. I'm looking for any and all advise please! The last thing I want is to put them both in a bucket and something get harmed. I've attached a picture of the Anemone to this message.Anemone.jpg

Not all anemones will host clowns, some may even eat them. What species is the anemone?

fiddlerthecrab said:
I don't know, it just said Anemone in the store...

Best to call the store and ask what kind they got in their last shipment. Take it back if need be. Could be a Condy. Will def not host a clown

I think it's a long tentecle nem or mag condi have less but fatter tentecles

I just called. It is a long tail anemone and they are one of the ones that clown fish host. Now that I know that, I guess i'm back to finding out if Placing the Anemone in a bucket with the Clownfish, and they might unite that way. I was thinking if the Clownfish didn't take to it naturally, I could slowly siphon the water to a level where she doesn't have a choice. To me, it just doesn't sound safe.

It took 10 months for my clowns to host Dont try to force things, nothing good happens fast in saltwater.

Thanks Grizz. I did ask about feeding and purchased the exact same frozen food they have been feeding it at the store. I'm just afraid that if he doesn't host soon, I may come home to a missing fish because he was mistaken as a threat

Back
Top Bottom