Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-03-2012, 02:07 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Clown fish behavior

I just introduced my first fish to my first aquarium. I got a couple of clownfish and they both keep swimming against the back of the aquarium, which is black reflective acrylic , as if they are touching their friend (actually their reflection). Is this normal? Will they eventually realize that their reflection isn't an actual fish??

Old 04-03-2012, 03:16 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

The only thing I can say is..... "clownfish are funny". I recently added 2 true percs a month ago and they are still swimming at the top back of the tank. Yesterday I added 2 pj cardinals and that seemed to get them to swim around for about 2 minutes and then they headed right back to the top.

Do you have any anemones? Someone mentioned to me that adding a neme could help bring them down

Old 04-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiftler View Post
The only thing I can say is..... "clownfish are funny". I recently added 2 true percs a month ago and they are still swimming at the top back of the tank. Yesterday I added 2 pj cardinals and that seemed to get them to swim around for about 2 minutes and then they headed right back to the top.

Do you have any anemones? Someone mentioned to me that adding a neme could help bring them down
if this is his first fish I'm willing to be his tank is brand new & would be a BAD idea for a nem.

to the OP,
if your tank is new(under 8+months setup & cycled) please don't get a nem. they're hard to care for & clowns will host anything from LPS corals to powerheads.
Swiftler is right on the first part. clowns are exactly what their name says, clowns. mine hang in the back of my tank & sleep right up against the intake to my rear section(nano cube) I've had a pair host my cleaner magnet so it's always a fun time with clowns.
NyteGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes, the tank is new an I have no intention of getting an anemone within the first year. This is my first aquarium and definitely don't want to bite off more than I can chew. I'm trying to go very slowly.

I observed the clowns eat at the fish store, but they fed them once-frozen food with a turkey baster. What is the best way to get them to eat pellets? I ask because I would like to use a auto-feeder when I am out of town.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I turn off all pumps. mine took to pellets instantly, just drop it in near them.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteGTI
I turn off all pumps. mine took to pellets instantly, just drop it in near them.
Do you recommend a brand?
Old 04-04-2012, 09:55 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

mine took to NLS marine formula in the 0.5 mm size. they also love reef chili
Old 04-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

With my older tank I had a clown that would only move from his spot in front of the power head. That was when I would have my hands in the aquarium grabbing coral or something he would nip at me. But for the most part he just stayed in his spot.

Tags
behavior, clown, clown fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com