Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-20-2008, 06:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

clown fish habits

I have a pair of clownfish and I'm trying to figure out what they are doing. I wasn't sure if this was the correct place to ask this question but I'm hoping someone will move it if need be.....

My clownfish stay up in the top corner of the tank and only come out for food. It's always the same place in the tank.....is it possible that they are truly hosting a corner of the tank?? They rarely come out from that corner and it's way in the back of the tank.....if I wrench my neck enough I can see them but I'm not getting a lot of enjoyment watching them that way.

What's the scoop with them? Is this a natural behavior? (yes, I know, they aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer)

Old 02-20-2008, 07:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds normal to me, assuming mine is "normal"! I've assumed they take a corner because it's a good defensive position and nothing can sneak up behind them. Luckily, mine chose the front corner!

Seems like mine was in my tank for at least a year before it started venturing around the tank for extended periods. It now wanders around from time to time, but for the most part sticks around it's host corner.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Meh that is normal . Ours are abnormal in that they are out of their "hosted" area about 95% of the time and in it at night , our male has started hosting the GSP and the female is looking at a few other long tenical corals to host it took ours just under a month to utilize the full tank (tho it is a 10 gallon nano not hard at all LOL ) Yep it is normal that they do that in nature they rarely venture more than 3 feet around from their host anenome/coral from what I have read up on ...so for those who have them that stay in a corner give them time they are not strong swimmers and will take time to explore
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadielynn View Post
Meh that is normal . Ours are abnormal in that they are out of their "hosted" area about 95% of the time and in it at night , our male has started hosting the GSP and the female is looking at a few other long tenical corals to host it took ours just under a month to utilize the full tank (tho it is a 10 gallon nano not hard at all LOL ) Yep it is normal that they do that in nature they rarely venture more than 3 feet around from their host anenome/coral from what I have read up on ...so for those who have them that stay in a corner give them time they are not strong swimmers and will take time to explore
So I have a couple of dorks....Great!!

So...one more question....sometimes the male clown will swim up close to the female and do this "shimmy" kind of thing to her (it almost looks like a shiver of sorts)....is he trying to "get his freak on" with her?
Old 02-20-2008, 09:53 PM   #5
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
I think that's more common with perculas and ocelllaris. What do you have? My clarkii's never leave their host sebae except to eat.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccapt View Post
I think that's more common with perculas and ocelllaris. What do you have? My clarkii's never leave their host sebae except to eat.
they are perculas.....I bought them over a year ago and they were matched up at that time.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:10 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Mine used to hide in corners also but yrs later here they are. I think they will eventually come out and host some of the corals.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0638.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	12723

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1020.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	12724

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:16 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Quote:
So...one more question....sometimes the male clown will swim up close to the female and do this "shimmy" kind of thing to her (it almost looks like a shiver of sorts)....is he trying to "get his freak on" with her?
Mine do the same thing and I've been wondering about that. If you figure it out let me know.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:26 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBeanCtr View Post

That shiver is so bizarre... first time I saw mine do it I thought I was having a brain aneurysm because it looked like one of those movies that they drop out every other frame and it looks all jittery. I had to blink several times and by that time, it was over. I've always equated it to mating behavior, but I only have a single Ocellaris. Maybe it really likes its reflection?
Old 02-20-2008, 11:33 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBeanCtr View Post
That made me laugh thanks.:p My clowns cruise around the top of the tank and rarely venture to the bottom at all. they usually circle the top of the tank every time the circle the front where the powerhead is pointed they do the shiver like some kind of way to shake off the water flow. and don't really host anything really.

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clown, clown fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com