Clown fish - How many in a tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Poisson

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a pair of ocellaris clown (tank-raised) in a 45gallon reef tank. Is it feasible to add a 3rd clown (same of different species)? I have a rose anemone that a wild-caught specimen could take refuge in since the tank raised pair are totally uninterested in it. I'm really looking for a friend for my anemone...Any advice?[/b]

Well, they would probably fight and the new one might get beaten to death. The 2 you have already have their territitory. I wouldn't, but its up to you.

if i have one in the tank now and would like to add one more of the same type would the new one die because of the territory?

No, it could die because they may fight. Not so much when they are young.

Young ocellaris or perculas have a better chance of getting along than other species. Most other clowns must be kept alone. Also, it's best if the percs or ocellaris are different sizes...this seems to cut down on aggression between them.

Ok, actually I agree about adding another of the same type ( different size) if you just have one. But isn't it true that adding 1 when a pair already reside in the tank, that the pair will bully the newcomer?
I think that is what the poster is trying find out.
I have 4 in my tank all introduced together, but I watch them like a hawk as they mature. So far so good. :wink:

It depends on the maturity of the clowns in question. If they are still juveniles, the new fish may be accepted. If they are mature clowns, then they will most likely kill the new fish. It would be a chancy "try and see" thing.

quarryshark said:
I have 4 in my tank all introduced together, but I watch them like a hawk as they mature. So far so good. :wink:
The size of the tank has much to do with it as well. With a 210 gal tank, there much more "elbow room". :p

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom