Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-05-2009, 05:45 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

clown fish question

my fiance picked up 2 false perc's, about an inch long roughly 4 days ago. they seemed to be doing well so i introduced them into my 47 gallon, with my mandarin ,clown goby and a yellow tail damsel. I dont have a host for them to play in yet, but they never seem to leave the front of the tank well the open water, they dont go into the LR at all, not even at night with the lights off. they go to the bottom front corner. the damsel messed with them a little bit at first but it has calmed down and they dont seem to be getting in each others way. other than the damsel. they have no other fish to compete with for anything. they are very active swimmers and seem to like my power head. Ive read alot about clown behavior but ive never had any so i really dont know are they acting normal or not...Im hoping they are just adjusting to the tank still. I know they arent your typical small reef type of fish that is always in and out of the rocks and you bareley see them but they tend to spend alot of time trying to swim through the glass..is this normal?

Old 05-05-2009, 08:27 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
That sound normal to me. My clown(s) would do the same thing. Nothing out of the ordinary... They'll eventually adjust and move to another spot in the tank where they will feel comfortable. But all in all clowns will be clowns they are just weird like that sometimes... HTH

Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

thanks for the consult lol. I was a little worried at theirsporaticness but they seem to more settle alreay, they definately are 2 of a kind
Old 05-05-2009, 01:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Clowns will host a power head sometimes. Weird little guys!

1 Powder Blue Tang, 1 Yellow Eyed Kole Tang, 2 Ocellaris Clownfish, 1 Talbot Damsel, 1 YWG, 1 Red Honey Damsel.
Patroklos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to partypalooza5 Send a message via Yahoo to partypalooza5
This is probably the wrong time and place to ask, but if I was to go get two clownfish, can it be any two? (of the same species) I've seen matched pairs or something and I'm not sure what that means..

partypalooza5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

i see why everyone has a clown or two lol yea they love the powerhead! they havent started defending it but they just try to swim into it off and on all day

I got my two clowns because they were in a large community tank so to minimize stress and keed the damsel away I got 2 lol. but a matched pair refers to having a definate male and female pair, i believe all are male until they reach maturity and have a dominent order established
Old 05-05-2009, 03:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

mine are weird too, I was told if I wanted two to buy them together because if clowns fight they can fight to the death, so we have a big bright orange one and a smaller duller orange one that we obviously picked from the same tank as they were already living together...

my small one -my son's "nemo" go figure is out right weird had me looking up diseases and things as he was floating vertically in the back corner up and down only really late at night when the whole house was sleeping - as I know you shouldn't tap the glass I was worried and I think I scared the little bugger half to death cause he went flying back and forth across the tank and then came to stare at me...guess he was sleeping cause he acts normal all the time, they twitch here and there too which is like practice I guess but looks siezerish? if you don't know they do that!

Tags
clown, clown fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com