clown host toadstool?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steve r

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i know that clowns are not guarented to host anything, but how likely or who has had success with a clown hosting a toadstool? our new clown is a pretty small ocellaris. he did not have anything to host in the tank he came from but he always seems to be searching for a place to be. i saw him nudge a zoo colony once. i was thinking of trying a toadstool because my tank is not very old and i dont know if my lights would properly support an anenome in the long run

any thoughts
steve r

Clowns have been known to host Toadstools and powerheads as well as other things.

Most likely your clown was Tank Raised. Ask the pet store to be sure.

Tank Raised Clowns are not very likely to host anenomes or soft corals unless they become rather nervous. Then the natural instinct snaps in.

For example: I have a small male Tank Raised Ocellaris Clown that is constantly being harrased by his larger female counterpart. Because of this, he has started to "host" the Powerhead a bit. Soon, I will add an anenome and see if he will accept that.

Two of my clowns host in my button polyps. It is crazy. I just added another anenome in there so hopefully they will jump in that soon. Thankfully the anenome settled down right next to the polyps. My other two clowns host in the other 2 BTA's I have in the tank.

sorry about the dirty glass
img_280148_0_e22bb4e5b7b945fed0b6b5b037c18fdd.jpg
[/img]

My pair of percs seek refuge in my two rose BTA, my torch coral, my hammer coral, my hairy mushrooms, my toad stool and my elegence. Whatever seems to be close to them. They are wild caught though. I did previously own a tank raised ocellaris that after months decided to take to my Rose BTA. So there is hope.

this clown is tank raised and it took him almost a year to decide on the toadstool

I've seen clown hosting in a clam (clam gave up btw) ,power head,leather etc... Mine never hosted in my Anemone, but they do host in my return.

My clown sorta hosts in my clam, he loves to swim near it and he sometimes gets close to the clams lips, and im like "Oh my gosh, dont get close to clam clown"

i was at a LFS yesterday and say skunk clowns hosting condy and pink hatian anemones. so i guess the will just host whatever they feel like.

thanks for all the info
steve r

I wish I could find the pic but someone posted a pic of a false perc hosting on a koosh ball.

Have heard of them hosting hair algae also.... :)

Back
Top Bottom