Clown hosting in Open Brain?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jermz79

Aquarium Advice Addict
I put my red open brain from my Nano into my 29gal. a couple days ago and my tank raised Perc. Immediately got comfy inside of it. At first the brain didn't seem to mind and was real nice and puffed up, but yesterday I noticed that the Brain was closed up real tight and everytime the clown "sat" down on the brain it would flinch.

Will this turn into a problem? What can I do about it? Right now I'm battling Cyano in my Nano so once that is under control I could move the brain back, but for the time being it has to stay in the 29gal.

I will post some pics tonight. I took some video of it on my camera but the file is WAAAAAAAY to big to host anywhere!

Thanks,
Jeremy

Well, as awesome as that is, I'm not sure thats entirely a good thing. The brain probably thought it was food at first and extended it's tentacles, but now knows it's just being jerked around. Maybe in time the brain will get used to it and allow it host. Again thats a maybe. On the opposite end, your perc may also stress you brain to the point of no return.

It is kinda funny what a clown decides to play in, isn't it? In my tank, from a toadstool leather, hammer, candy cane, open brain and a mushroom coral, my female perc has chosen the mushroom from all things to snuggle in. Weird.

That's what I didn't want to hear, I think the best thing is to put the Brain back into the Nano once things calm down with the Cyano. It is funny because he was snuggling with the top of my PH's before and now he won't leave the brain alone!

and yeah it is awesome!!! Maybe it's time to get an Anenome? I have a 29gal. with 130 watts of PC lighting. Tank has been running for over a year now with no problems, do you think the lighting could support an Anenome?

Doesn't hurt to try! I personally think you'd be just fine with an anenome under your lighting. I have the same lighting over my 20g, but I have taken up enough space already to try and get an anenome. GL

Have a wellsophyllia and a trach, one in a 75G and one in a 29G. Both have clowns that host in them. No problems. May take some getting used to, but the brains seem ok. Been a couple years now.

I agree that you should be OK. I have a couple clowns that host a bubble and pagoda cup. And they totally ignore the BTA that I have. That`s why I say that there is no guantee that the clowns will host an anenomie if you get one. But lagger was right also to make sure your clown is not stressing the brain out. That is a possibility also.

Well how can I tell if the brain is stressed? I know when I came home last night he wasn't as nice and "poofy" as he normally is and there was the crazy clown .... chillin!

My clowns are hosting my zoo's of all things. I have a long tenticle plate coral, lobo brain, hammer coral, mushrooms and candy cane coral and for some reason they just bounce and hover over it all the time.

Back
Top Bottom