Clown issue after 1yr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarineFlake

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have 2 perc clowns in a 29g. Have been for almost a year. About 2 maybe 3 weeks ago I changed around the 'aquascape'. I have done some research and while I do understand that the female is pretty dominant, over the last few weeks it has chased the smaller (male I assume) into hiding. He still easts and pops out once in a while, but for the most part, he now stays in this one spot all the time. They were both hosting happily in an open brain (trach), but now only the larger (female) snuggles with it../shrug I am at a bit of a loss. Tanks healthy, corals, shrimp (small boxer) and crab all ok. I am not sure what cranked up the agression meter, but they are 'dancing' for a minute, then for no reason, the female starts picking on the male. Its as if he leaves that spot and she freaks, like he has to stay there for some unknown reason..Knowing they are in the damselfish genre, one expects some of this, but when the male starts hiding, I start to wonder if, like in life, the honeymoon is over? I have 10G cycled, LR, LS, 1 turbo and a shroom in it. I wonder if its time to seperate them, though no injuries to date. It seems odd they would do fine for so long then start freaking. Anyone with some insight?

I would think they would adjust back to their old ways. I have no real life experience with paired fish though.

Keep us posted.

After further observation I have found that the female is not *actually* harming him. She will chase him to the spot she seems to insist he stays in but the shaking I see is just 'dancing'. After lights out he tends to wander more. Still keeping an eye on them both. Another week of this and I think Im going to put the female in 10G time out. I was hoping someone could tell me if maybe this was leading up to spawning or something..Anyway I'll keep checking on him..

Females establish a territory....she lost hers when you rearranged the tank and I assume she has to reclaim and setup order again. In my pre-spawn observations, the male is out cleaning suitable substrate and is not getting picked on.

Thanks for posting this. My wife does the same thing to me when I come out of my spot. I thought it was just human behavior but apparently it is normal for fish too....Who knew?

Back
Top Bottom