Clown Pairing ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can totally tell with my clowns. The blacks are ora but the regular ones are just wild caught. The wild caught ones were the first to host my coral and they seem to be nippy with each other while the other set isn't and they are bigger and older.

iDream said:
ORA is a company based out of FL that produces only captive bred species of fish, seahorses, and corals. Very high quality and very well known amongst the SW community

Thanks

Yeah if you are mixing bw ocellaris with orange and white ocellaris. They wont mate if one is an Amphiprion they wont, also should be noted that the two species don't always get along so mix and match can lead to issues if you're not careful with selection

I just realizedhow bad my grammar is in that last post, it makes it confusing. Yes they have a chance of breeding if the are the same type as in ocellaris or amphipiron no matter what their color is.
Mixing breeds can lead to aggression between them, and prob shouldn't be done. Unless you have a large enougj tank for them to have their own area

I can totally tell with my clowns. The blacks are ora but the regular ones are just wild caught. The wild caught ones were the first to host my coral and they seem to be nippy with each other while the other set isn't and they are bigger and older.

Do you have a web site for ORA?

Yes it can be done. My LFS used to have a mated pair of b&w and orange and white in their display tank. Also it is possible to have a mated pair of different species as well. There is a guy here in salt lake that has a mated black ocellaris and true perc pair that he is selling, pricey though.... $250

I dont think keeping different species of clowns together is a good idea, at least thats what I've always been told

here is an article from Manhattan Reefs by Sanjay Joshi and his experience of breeding a true perc and black an white ocellaris
Manhattan Reefs - The Odd Couple (A. percula "Onyx" X A. ocellaris "Darwin")

Also (I believe it is mentioned in the article) but you do find hybrid clowns in the ocean as well. One that is thought to be a hybrid by biologists is Amphiprion leucokranos, which is supposedly a hybrid of A. sandaracinos and A. chrysopterus.

Yeah also many "true" percs are ocelaris that the lfs mislabeled and was paid extra for...
This is why it is important to know the difference between a True Perc and Ocellaris, because yes some LFS are shady and charge an arm and a leg for an Ocellaris that is labeled as a True Perc

Thats a neat article and I concede... kinda I stil maintain that a budding aquarist probably shouldn't get two fish that more often than not are aggressive towards eachother.

I gotta add, my perfect little foursome of clowns is having an aggressor issue. The regular oscelarris, female, is bugging the other oscellaris and one of my black clowns. It's nothing major right now but it could become a problem down the line. Glad I have multiple tanks just in case. lol

So any clowns can turn aggressive, its just the fish i guess it depends on.

Back
Top Bottom