Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-04-2004, 08:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Clown pairs...

I just got two clowns today, both acclimated very well and are swimming around happily...they have also been behaving a little differently than my first two that died...they chase each other, nibble at each other, and never get more than two inches away from each other. Is that a sign that they're paired? I don't know if you can tell the difference between a male and female clown...but the slightly smaller clown has alomost all black fins on the bottom(Sorry, I don't know what they're called, the fins right under the side fins...) and the other has the common black tipped fins...

I also have a long tenticle anenome, is there a pretty good chance they will host it if they are paired or no?

Old 04-04-2004, 11:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

It's not a guarantee they will host the anemone. Some do, some don't. My pair took to my bta after a couple days.

Old 04-04-2004, 11:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh, yeah. Hope they will for you. It's really entertaining to watch and gives them a cool place to hang out.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:13 PM   #4
steve-s

Re: Clown pairs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog
hey chase each other, nibble at each other, and never get more than two inches away from each other. Is that a sign that they're paired?
It's definately a good sign. Once they have have chosen a territory, their behavior as a mated pair will be much more appearant.

Quote:
I don't know if you can tell the difference between a male and female clown...but the slightly smaller clown has alomost all black fins on the bottom
There are actually no distinguishing markings between the two. The only way to tell is by size difference. The female will be the larger of the two.

Quote:
(Sorry, I don't know what they're called, the fins right under the side fins...) and the other has the common black tipped fins...
Fish anatomy

Quote:
I also have a long tenticle anenome, is there a pretty good chance they will host it if they are paired or no?
Depends on the species of clownfish

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-13-2004, 05:28 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via MSN to Ali7879
When you get clownfish young they are both males, the larger of the 2 becomes female and the smaller is the male....Yes they can actually change sex to be male or female
Old 04-13-2004, 05:56 PM   #6
steve-s

Actually depending on how small they are, it is more than possible they will still be nueter. Most do not change sex until some sort of pair bonding or heirarchy is established.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
clown

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com