Clown Question..something weird.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 2 false perc in a 125 now for 8-9 months. All of my levels are 0 with regards to Ammonia, trite and trate. I have not added anything new to the tank in some time other than a banded shrimp. I was feeding last night and notice the smaller of the 2 percs wasnt eating like usual. Upon inspecting it, I noticed the portion of the perc's body starting just in front of the gills to just behind the gills appear to be swollen. It isnt showing any signs of stress like ick or anything so.....The only thing that bother me was the fish was breathing a little harder than normal.
The only thing I have done any different from the past 8 months since putting both of the fish in there is I ran carbon just to take out any umpurities there might be. I used to run carbon a lot when I first set up the tank. Also I normally feed all of the fish (1 yellow wrasse, 1 yellow taled damsel and the 2 percs) mysis shrimp soaked in garlic. However I did try and feed them some stuff that you can rub on the LR in the tank and its sticks to it for a lack of better terms.....I was mainly for my blenny which is no longer in there. It was safe for all fish.
The fish body isnt protruding as far as the scales. It really looks like it needs to go to the bathroom. The little area around the anus looks tight. Do fish get constipated?? I know all of this is weird...sorry for being sort of graphic. Other than it breathing a little harder and looking funny, it acts fine. Can it be preg? Its the smaller of the 2 percs? Any and all suggestions please.
Thanks

Also I did see the clown "excrete" this morning. Not a lot but it was normal brown in color as I have seen in the past. Also have researched the past forums and the only thing I can come up with is bloating or dropsy. I dont think its either of these 2. At least none of the signs for dropsy is apparent. I have been told to take the clown out and treat it for 2 hours every other night with an antibiotic. any thougths on this? How do I know what Im treating unless there are specific signs? It ate a little last night but not a lot like normal. Could it have eaten something to bid such as a sinking pellet that I sometimes give them as treats? Im at a loss....

It could be blockage. I would try feeding the fish some mysis mixed with slightly softend mashed peas before you try any type of meds. It will normally help the fish "ease" the problem.

Are the swimming patterns odd at all?

Cheers
Steve

Just regualr peas from a can?? Do I just mash them and put them in the mixture of the mysis? I really think its just constipated. I will try this tonight. But let me know what else I need to do or watch for on feeding the peas? I have never heard of doing this so assume I know nothing. AND Im paranoid about my tank!!! Thanks for the help!

Personally I would use frozen peas, you never know what chems are in canned. Just heat them up until soft, mash/mix in with the mysis, allow to cool and mix with some tank water to break it up a bit and then feed the fish. The peas will act as a lubricant to "ease" the problem. Be sure you add some vegetable matter (roughage) to their diet from this time on though. If it is blockage, a strict diet of meats will be the cause.

Cheers
Steve

Ok on the frozen peas. One thing is though the clown wont eat a lot if any. It ate a couple of small things but that was it. Normally a very agressive eater at first.
Also do I feed peas to them AS ruffage? does this count? If not then what do I use?
Thanks for the info too...

Veggies

I had a scopias tang that loved cucumber slices, though I'd have to watch closely and take out the uneaten portions. The damsels would nip at it too but never seemed as interested.

Hopefully someone else will tell you if this is a bad idea, I'm not so confident in my advice.

a little bit of green in the diet is never a bad thing. I usualy clip of piece of dry seaweed in the tank once or twice a week. The tang goes to town on it (his daily greens come from my tank wall... he's almost picked it clean!) and my chromis take the occasional nibble from the seaweed.

I did use seaweed from time to time when I had my LM blenny but hes not in there AND I dont think the clowns like it...never have seen them eating on it.
I think i will feed them peas like suggested earlier. Just hope the clown is "backed up" and whatever it is, that it will pass...

fishman said:
Also do I feed peas to them AS ruffage? does this count? If not then what do I use?
Even if the clown eats a little, it should help alot :wink:

If the fish you have are normally picky about veggies, I would definately suggest your own blender much. It assures that the fish get what they need and feeding properly. It allows you to mix the needed vegetable matter (nori or the like) in with the meats as well as some vitamins (Selcon or Zoecon) fortified with [acronym="Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acid"]HUFA[/acronym], lipids and other fatty acids.

Cheers
Steve

I feed all my fish a mix of greens and meaty type food. Formula Two is good and so are the dried sea weeds. My clowns get a mixed diet.

Back
Top Bottom