Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-28-2004, 08:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Clown Sweet Lip eating habits?

My wife and I just purchased a clown sweet lip. It always goes for the food (flakes) but spits it out seconds later. I would think it would eat more for it's size. Should we be feeding it something else? Thanks!

diddle32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 08:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via MSN to pufferman
how long ago did you purchase it, we need to know about the tank, ammonia, ph, nitrate, nitrite, any copper, tankmates, temp, SG, the works.

30 gallon SW tank;EHEIM ECCO 2235 Canister Filter w/Miracle-Working Chemi-Pure
TetraTec UV1 UV Sterilizer;Rio 50 Powerhead ;130w PC lighting;33 Lbs. of Tonga Branch LR;Nature's Ocean Live Sand (the bagged stuff)
Livestock:2-Ocellaris Clownfish;9-Scarlet Reef Hermit Crabs;1-Regal Tang;Zoanthids, Pineapple Brain coral, Sebae Anemone, Colt Coral, Galaxea
Tank Specs as of December 29, 2005:Ammonia:0;Nitrite: 0;Nitrate=0;Cu:0
PH: 8.3
SG: 1.028;Temp: 79-84 degrees F (Adjusts throughout the day)
pufferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 09:04 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Sweetlips are members of the snapper family, you may need to feed live foods to get it to eat, then train it to eat other dead meaty foods. IME, clown sweet lips and oriental sweet lips can be very troublesome to get to feed.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 12:42 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
I did some research on sweetlips on wetwebmedia and they pretty much recomended not to purchase them or return them if possible. Their natural diet is almost impossible to reproduce in an aquarium and most will perish in a short period of time. In the FAQ's one of the people who run the site said the only successful story they had was somebody who would soak a high quality food in vitamins then feed this food to feeder fish, then feed the fish to the sweetlips so it was actually getting the vitaimins from the food that the feeder fish ate plus the vitamins of the feeder fish. In addition, most of these fish get very large. Sorry, not trying to upset you but I thought you'd like to know.
jamal-188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 07:57 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
Ya, sweeplips are carnivore, they eat meaty food, I don't think its easy to let them eat flakes. Try some live food 1st, maybe add some vitamin to the water to replenish. Try fresh water shrimps and maybe live black worms.
mansiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 11:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had the clown sweetlips several times over the past 15 or so years and whether small (1-1.5") or med (2-3"), they have never survived for me. I've had it where they never ate and perished and I've had it where they ate frozen and flake foods, but lasted only about a month and died mysteriously. I've chalked this species up with the Regal Angel, Moorish Idols & Clown Tangs, leave them @ the LFS and hopefully their demand dwindles.

pecan2phat is offline   Reply With Quote

clown, eat, eating

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com