Clown swims vertical and treads water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

L2

Aquarium Advice Regular
My clown likes to swim vertically in the back of the tank at night...behind the powerhead. He sort of just treads water and looks down!!! Is this normal? He looks sad or like he's zoning out.. Is he resting? Is this normal? Otherwise he seems fine and eats during the day.

Thoughts?

Clownfish will usually find something in your aquarium to host and defend as well as to sleep at night. It seems your clownfish has simply picked your powerhead to host and this is totally normal.

I would say yes, it is normal. One of my clowns did that for awhile, but now he's swimming horizontally with his side exposing to the water surface when he sleep 0.o They are just odd like that. I used to think he was gonna die and had a hard time going to sleep those nights haha.

HTH

LOL

fewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww – he was making me paranoid !! LOL. Thanks guys.

does anyone know if clownfish can get stung by torch coral? i got some in the tank. none of my fish ever go near it.

i don't know about the touch coral but I had a jawfish for a few weeks(he didn't make it very long) and he had made a hole in the back of my tank up against the glass. The clown fish has now taken that over and he does a little "dance" around it at night before he settles. It is his little sleeping hole. I think it's cute although the first time i found him there in the morning I thought he was dead.

My clown does the sam, he likes it in the corner by my thermometer, he also "swims" downward but stays in place...

I got a "Patrick Star Bubble House" for christmas one year and put it in the tank (looks like half of a coconut with a weathervane on top). It was a hair algae magnet and was tough to clean. When the algae got thicker, my clown would hide in there, swimming amongst the waving strands of algae like little green tentacles of a poor-man's anemone. It was funny, but I eventually removed the decoration.

Back
Top Bottom