Clown taking food from anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aiden

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

My maroon clown in the last week has started acting funny, I've had it for about a year and it's always loved hangin out in my anemone which I got around the same time. For some reason now it spends most of its time hiding away from the anemone and has pulled food out of it the last three times I tried to feed it.

Preempting some questions:
I have fed the Maroon clown before I tried to feed the anemone each time.

Over the last month or so the clown hasn't really been retrieving food for the anemone so I have had to feed it myself

I feed it lance fish and occasionally 'marine mix' food which is frozen shrimp etc

I haven't checked my water quality recently but have been performing regular pwc and my corals all look like they're ok so I don't suspect it's that.

I had a chat with some staff at my lfs they reckon its irreversible and my clown will keep doing it until the anemone is starving and won't let go of the food! that can't be good!

I don't have much of an idea when it comes to marine tanks so id be grateful to see what you all think.

Thanks!

Any help please? It's still happening...

Don't worry about it. You dont have to feed nems. They are photosynthetic. I never feed mine. It will be fine. As long as you have good light, nem will be fine.

Yup Anemones get most of there food from the water column. Even though I still feed mine because I like to interact as much as I can with them I don't have to. But I am a little lost as to why the clown is act'n like that. Read up on the maroon clowns on the internet and see if it says anything about there temperment change'n as the mature. maybe that will give you a little insight on the matter but as far as the Anememone goes I'd say don't sweat it it'll get all the food it needs from the water colomn

Thanks that's reassuring.

I have heard that maroon clowns can get very temperamental when they mature and there isn't a lot that can be done about it. Unsurprisingly I wasn't told that by the guy at the lfs who recommended it... Won't be listening to him again!

I had a maroon clown that I had to finally catch and take to the LFS. He started out great, then got really mean. Put me off as far as clown fish go.

I hope mine doesn't get that bad! I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed.

Hopefully all he does is take food from the Anemone and if he starts pick'n on other fish in the tank you might try take'n him out and then rearange'n the rocks and put'n him back in. Sometimes that readjusts their attitudes a bit. look up clownfish and all the different species. from what I have seen all the real great look'n ones are a bit aggressive. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom