Clown trigger turned aggressive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tkey3425

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This is just an informative thread. My clown trigger, who I've had for about 10 months in my 125, decided today that my knuckle was his meal. Thankfully I saw him coming and got out "almost" in time, he grazed my knuckle biting through the rubber glove and slicing my knuckle slightly. Clown never showed issues with aggression and has been with several other fish that he still has yet to bother. The clown trigger would let me rub his belly during feeding time to keep him from causing my other fish to starve by feeding too aggressive and I've always fed him with tongs. He was trained well to know what was his food and was not, or so I thought, anyway. Watch your clown trigger haha. This was a close call and I'm doubtful he will be staying for much longer. Maybe he's getting too large for the tang and that's the problem or maybe I'm just dumb for sticking my hands near him lol either way anyone interested in a 8" clown trigger haha now i see that they are considered one if the most aggressive triggers out there.

A big concern with clown triggers is territorial aggression. What you are describing sounds more like food aggression, or maybe even just food excitement. Regardless, at eight inches you are getting pretty close for his time to move out of a 125

A big concern with clown triggers is territorial aggression. What you are describing sounds more like food aggression, or maybe even just food excitement. Regardless, at eight inches you are getting pretty close for his time to move out of a 125

Oh yeah i know i have a 180 but its turned more towards a peaceful tank and ive stocked it with coral. He's up for sale now but there arent many people around that have large aquariums that arent reef systems. I've rehomed a few fish to a local reef club and there is a guy tat is interested in it but he's on the fence about him because he has never kept triggers before. He has a 400 gallon aquarium

I feel for your knuckle. lol Many years ago I got a 12" Clown Trigger shipped to me from the Marshall Islands. The teeth on that fish were amazing. Needless to say, no hand went into that tank until he was sold. We used to hear him crunching the crushed coral gravel between meals. lol One day, the lid was slightly ajar and the fish tried to bite my arm when I was reaching to change a light bulb over the tank. Good thing he didn't break the glass lid. :D
I hope you find a good home for him. They are a gorgeous fish as adults.

I feel for your knuckle. lol Many years ago I got a 12" Clown Trigger shipped to me from the Marshall Islands. The teeth on that fish were amazing. Needless to say, no hand went into that tank until he was sold. We used to hear him crunching the crushed coral gravel between meals. lol One day, the lid was slightly ajar and the fish tried to bite my arm when I was reaching to change a light bulb over the tank. Good thing he didn't break the glass lid. :D
I hope you find a good home for him. They are a gorgeous fish as adults.

He is absolutely one of the most beautiful fish I've ever owned. And up until now was extremely docile. I put my hand in the tank all the time. (With gloves) when feeding my shrimp. He has been in the tank with two large cleaner shrimp, anemone and a large coral banded and still hasn't bothered any of them.....yet. I'm assuming it was a case of mistaken identity but yes no more hands in the water. It was amazing how easily he slashed my knuckle through some 10mil gloves. I'm just thankful I didn't get complacent and always watched him carefully when I worked with my tank. But now I'm in a situation where my QT Is too small to move him(30gal) and I'm having trouble finding him a home. LFS's biggest tank is like a 55 short tank and he would probably waste away. They have pictures and videos of him in there to see if anyone is interested. I put a price of $50 on him just to ensure that someone doesn't snatch him up and put him in a bad habitat. If I were to see the persons tank and know their husbandry I would give him to them for free.

Found a home for him but he's being difficult to catch and I don't have a trap big enough. Should I use my hand as bait? Lol just kidding what the safest way to catch a trigger?

Found a home for him but he's being difficult to catch and I don't have a trap big enough. Should I use my hand as bait? Lol just kidding what the safest way to catch a trigger?

I use 2 approaches for catching hard to get fishies. 1 way is to use a big, deep net and put some chunk food like shrimp pieces or whole shrimp in the bottom of the net. Set it up so that you can swiftly either raise the net to the surface while he's eating or pin the frame against the tank wall so you have him trapped.
The 2nd way is the 2 net system. I use a larger, deep net to catch the fish and a smaller net to guide the fish into the bigger catch net. Place the big net in a corner if possible and just hold it there. Using the smaller net, gently guide the fish along the tank walls in the direction of the bigger net. In his attempt to get away from the chase net, he will go into the catch net and all that's left is your agility to close the deal ;) Don't be surprised if the chase net becomes the catch net either. Sometimes the fish sees the bigger net and in the process of getting away from that net, they run into the smaller net so you want to make sure your chase net is big enough to handle your fish.
Either way, prepare to get a little wet. lol He will not be a happy fish when he gets into the net and will probably be splashing around. Keep towels and buckets at the ready :brows::lol:

Good luck (y)

Sounds like a good idea. If he wasn't 8inches or better I would try the nets but no one sells nets that big. Ill let him stay for a while until my next WC and do a larger change so he doesn't have as much swimming room

Back
Top Bottom