Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-05-2011, 02:59 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

What are you use's to try and nab him?

Old 05-05-2011, 03:17 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'm using nets. I tried to get him out with food but just couldn't get at him. My rock work is now a major hinderance. lol

I'm thinking of putting lights out early tonight and catch him while he cuddles with the two black clowns. Not sure if that would be rude or not waking him up. Plus the black clowns love the stupid net they always try to get in it so that's another problem I'm having trying to catch this 1/2 inch fish.

i have probaly 90lbs of rock in the 55g now and everything is perched just so. I've already gotten several corals mad at me while I was chasing.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:57 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

wouldn't the normal male just turn female and become aggressive later on? Just mentioning that since no1 else did. New tank!
Old 05-06-2011, 07:21 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

You could try one of those clear plastic fish traps or just one of the clear plastic containers they use at the LFS to snatch em up for you. I'd send the link of a pic of the trap and the containers but I'm at work and they have the site blocked. But go to fosters and smith and check it out, I think ones under traps and I'm not sure what the other one is under. Good luck.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:05 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I plan on rehoming the nasty female, she's caught and isolated already. The tiny male is still in the 55g but he seems to be doing ok for now. The B&W clowns are tank bred ora's so they are really really non aggressive. at least for now. The difference in the wild and not wild fish is striking. lol

In a few days or when the 3 some becomes not acceptable I will move the little male clown over to my cube. I did want a designer clown in there, guess i will have to settle for a misbar.

If I got a larger fish would he mate up again? or should i stick with the current plan?
Old 05-06-2011, 11:35 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

[QUOTE=If I got a larger fish would he mate up again? or should i stick with the current plan?[/QUOTE]
My GUESS is yes. But The one of the mated pair that died on me was the male. So I got an even smaller male than the one that died and these 2 are inseperable. And on top of it the new male is a black and white one. So he'd a different male and a different type of clownfish and it's worked out so far. I say go for it.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:24 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

If the female is being aggressive it's because she is establishing dominance. If you have a problem with them you could get a bigger tank and it would easily solve the problem but then again not all fish are the same I say let them fight and you can only hope none of the fish get killed in the process.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:29 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just stick with a pair. Unless you have a huge tank or more host anemones than you can handle, keeping a large number is asking for trouble. While diving in Hawaii I saw a 5x5' anemone of some sort with 10 or so black and white clowns. They looked like they were duking it out to the death!

Assuming you know which are males and females, keep one male and one female. If they are ALL females, just keep one female. Multiple females will fight it out to the death.

I've just got one Ocellaris so I don't have to worry about it

I run electrical appliances underwater and enjoy injecting things with Kalk filled syringes.
Sarcothelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:32 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have two pairs, 2 of each sex. It was the orange female that is attacking all the other 3 clowns. Has my royal gramma afraid to come out. LOL

I have the mean female currently alone in a 29g and thee orange male is hanging with my b&w clowns for now. Iplan on moving him to my 29g cube and returning the nasty female.

I do have two corals that the threesome is hosting so thats' keeping them happy for now. The b&w's are tank bred and are really really wussies.

Tags
clown, trouble

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com