Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-02-2005, 09:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to thanew
clownfish

ok, I'm a little lost on this subject.. i've been looking for information on clownfish and their diets (and nothing states anything about seaweed/nori except that they live in kelp in the wild.. )... would some seaweed / nori be great for them.. right now i'm feeding them the prime reef, them and the crab seem to love it, but i'm looking for maybe something to leave in there for them to nibble, or just something to change up their diet really..

thanks,
thane

-1 Blue peacock
-1 Syno Cat
thanew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 09:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

My clowns don't touch my nori. I think they'd actually spit it out if they ate it by accident. If you want to change up the diet you could try some formula 1 and formula 2. My clowns love the 1 but will also eat the 2. I aslo throw some mysis in there or some cyclopeze.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 09:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to thanew
alright thanks, you just saved me a couple of bucks on wasting it on food no one in my tank would eat (did that with a few times with the cichlid pellets, trying to find the right size)
-1 Blue peacock
-1 Syno Cat
thanew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 09:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

on top of the above mentioned items, mine love marine cuisine.

Jim
Old 02-02-2005, 10:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Agree, mine never touch anything green but will try all meaty items I put in.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I definitely think you are on the right track. Fish, esp. marine fish need a varied diet in order to receive all of the essential nutrients they need to stay healthy. I think it is important to feed a variety of frozen, dried, and live foods.

According to Joyce Wilkerson in her book "Clownfishes," carotenoids are "pigments that give clownfishes their range of bright, attractive hues." In summary she says that fishes must obtain carotenoids from the foods that they eat. However, only plants, yeast and microalgae can manufacture carotenoids. So fish must consume plants or microalgae directly, or eat animals that consume plants or microalgae. Although she recommends feeding nori to clowns in her book, from experience, I have found that the clowns will not touch the nori. They should however eat spirulina algae (flake or frozen) which is high in carotenoids. She also states that because of their natural diet of algae, krill is high in carotenoids (clownfish should accept krill). If the clowns are housed in a reef, copepods and amphipods may also become a good carotenoid source.

So IMO, just feed the clown a variety of foods and they should get all of the nutrition they need! HTH
Old 02-03-2005, 10:55 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

When I first started with my clowns, I was feeding them "meaty" things, like bloodworm, chopped krill and such... but as tiem went on I switched them to marine flakes, it is easier and creates less of a mess in the tank, less water changes due to the lack of meaty debris. Also, remember that a clownfish has an extremely slow metabolism, so you need not feed them every day, 1 time every 2 to 3 days is sufficient. Other than that and it is just wasting the food and your time changing the water.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:47 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have never seen my Maroon clowns actively eat the seaweed/nori I put in the clips for my tangs. They do love a frozen product called green life line though which I use as a daily staple in addition to cycloeeze and occassional mysis shrimp.

HTH,

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 12:09 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

huh my clowns eat from the tangs seaweed clip all the time... odd maybe they are watching their deit
3x penguin 1140 ph
2x65 10,000K and 2x65 03 Acintic
40lbs cc/30lbs argonite sand mixture
80lbs keys rock (www.liverocks.com awesome stuff)
25lbs fiji/tonga lr
10lbs lace base rock (now hapily live with lots of coraline growth)
lziarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 12:14 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lziarek
huh my clowns eat from the tangs seaweed clip all the time... odd maybe they are watching their deit
Yeah, I do not think my maroons care about their figure to much since they ignore the nori and go straight for the protien. Of course they could be trying the atkins thing.

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clown, clownfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com