Clownfish and seahorse?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canterthefishman

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all I have a 3in seabe Clownfish and I wanted to get a 3in seahorse in my 40 gallon breeder would that work?

Seahorses need very special conditions, and live food I believe. They do best in a seahorse only tank with very little flow. Theres a few build threads on here with them, you should check them out. :)

Carey is right for the most part except that You don't need to feed them live food but they are extremely slow and picky eaters. I know if I had my clown with my seahorse the poor seahorses would never eat.

Really, no live food? Everyone has said that they raise rotifiers for them, so I just assumed they like live food. But I really have no idea about seahorses, just from what I've read here.

I find them kinda creepy in my opinion, they just sit there and kinda sway.....LOL

You are both right. Wild seahorses need live food, captive bred are usually trained on dead foods. You are much better off getting a captive bred cost wise. The clownfish will compete with the seahorses for food, so it will be harder to feed the seahorses, or you would have to spot feed them. THey are very slow when it comes to eating, they just dont swim out into the open to get it, they need to stare it down first. :)

When I had mine it would eat frozen mysis. As John said it must have been captive bred. If it was me I would as far as the seahorses keep a species only tank. The fish would not let the SH`s eat. They would gobble the food up before the SH`s could get any. Also the SH`s need to eat several times a day.

Arer you sure it's really a sebae clown? They are somewhat harder to find than a clarkii clown...and they look almost identical.
I have a mated pair of clarkii's and they are quite agggressive and have no fear of the bigger fish in my tank. I agree that mixing them with seahorses would pretty much mean the horses would never get any food.

Here's my clarkii's.
clowns_2-09.jpg

clown_6-09.jpg

The only fish I would keep sea horses with is a dragonet. It would not compete for food, and they are never aggressive. Clowns can get mean. I would do the clowns and other fish or just sea horses and maybe 1 dragonet. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom