clownfish and what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liam61097

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm planning on putting percula clownfish or false clownfish in a old 75 gallon from the basement that I'm cleaning out to turn into a small reef tank and I was wondering what corals clownfish will host , what fish/coral will go with them without conflict and how many clownfish I could have in there peacefully thanks,

oh and I'm leaning away from anemones cus they may get at any corals

They can host alot of different corals. Examples i have seen: frogspawns, torches, hammers, open brains, mushrooms, blastos. I have seen them hoist all of those but u do run the risk of them killing the coral or even hurting themselves with the skeleton of the coral. I have 2 onyx perculas that hoisted in a torch and they killed the torch and got all cut up from rubbing themselves on the hard skeleton of the coral. I would not rule out an anemone. I have a carpet anemone and it really has not moved. If it touches a coral just relocate the coral. It is not going to do the coral any harm by touching it a couple of times.

what fish then should I get then everybody keeps saying that a fish is safe for reefs then others say that fish is bad. I know triggers and their relatives are bad for reefs and some others but, in my 150 gal I have some fish of the same species like blennies, and usually one or two of the "reef safe" fish will eat coral and others of the same kind won't, so what are some cool fish that lots of people have had success with in coral tanks thanks, in advance have a good day!!

one way to know if a fish is reef safe is to find out what and where it feeds. If it feeds on corals in the wild it will feed on corals in your tank. If it feeds in the water column then it can be reef safe.

thanks for all of your input I have barely worked with coral before but I am ok with triggers and terrific with most freshwater fish

Not all clown fish want to host mine is happy just begging for food and trying to get my attention. I am happy that it stays away from my corals.

Here is my clown hosting a plastic anemone.
img_1308378_0_930295b2534782536283c843e46d3b9c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom